Introduction: The Solo Flat From Vaptio
The Vaptio Solo Flat is a new pod mod from the vaping brand Vaptio.
A pod mod is basically a term we use to describe a small hand size mod, usually low power output, smaller battery and easy to use. The E-liquid tank on these devices is a removable pod. Some devices use closed pods – i.e. not refillable and others you can refill with your own choice of e-liquid.
The Solo flat has a 1.5ml pod which also contains the coil head which has a resistance of 1ohm. The output power is 15W and the battery capacity is 650mAh.
These devices are designed as Mouth To Lung devices – basically MTL is a style of vaping which is usually natural for ex-smokers. We tell you more about the MTL and DTL vaping styles in our guide.
This has no fire button and no screens or adjustments, it’s all automatic. You simply draw on the mouthpiece and it will fire. There is a fountain style LED light which activates when it fires and flashes when the battery conks out.
So can this little Solo Flat live up to the promise of the previous Vaptio goodies? Time to find out!
What’s In The Box
- Vaptio Solo-Flat Pod Mod
- Solo-Flat drip tip
- 2x Solo-Flat pod
- User manual
- USB Cable
- Size: 128×20.3×13.8mm
- Battery capacity: 650mAh internal battery
- Output power: 15W
- Coil resistance: 1ohm
- Capacity: 1.5ml
- Less than 2 hours to charge
- LED Indicator
- Top fill
- Automatic fire
Build Quality & Design
I received the all black device for review – there are other colours available – Black and Silver and Black and Gold.
First impressions out of the box is this does feel very plasticky and cheap really.
However this really works in its favour as your expectations are a bit low when you first see this.
I find I keep pushing the pod and mouthpiece into the mod a lot as gaps appear between them.
The sides of the mod have subtle writing which doesn’t jump out at you its more obvious in natural light. The USB port and “Designed by Vaptio” are marked on the sides.
There are 2 liquid capacity viewing windows – which sadly I have found way too dark to see the level – even when holding it up to a light.
The pod pulls out easily and is relatively easy to fill.
The mouthpiece feels lovely and the airflow is perfect.
The LED light looks amazing however it isn’t much use as a battery indicator – it only flashes as the device powers down when the battery is too low. It does indicate faults too.
Again as I have found in the past the Vaptio instruction manuals are not great. They have lots of pages however only 3 for each language and really tiny writing and illustrations.
In The Hand
How Does the Vaptio Solo Flat Perform?
So this is an automatic device you have no buttons to press or adjustments to make. Simply inhale on the mouthpiece and it will fire up and the light will come on.
If the light flashes at you – the amount of flashes are a code…
- 25 flashes = short circuit protection
- 10 flashes = low voltage – i.e. needs charging at it dies at this point – no prior warning grrr…
- 2 flashes = fire cut out – after 5 seconds of firing it will stop
- 3 flashes when USB charger connected = battery is charging
- 20 flashes when USB charger connected = battery charged
This is a low power device really for high nicotine or nicotine salts use. It would be ideal for a maximum of 60%VG e-liquid – although I did cheekily try an 80%VG liquid and it worked just but flavour was muted.
To understand what the terms VG and PG mean read our helpful guide.
How To Charge The Vaptio Solo Flat
- Use the included USB cable – install the small connector into the side of the Vaptio Solo Flat and the large end into a suitable USB charging outlet.
- The LED will illuminate when charging then will flash 20 times and extinguish when the battery is fully charged.
Charging time with my PC USB (which may only be a 0.5a output – newer USB and power packs can output more) was 1 hour and 30 mins so well below the Vaptio specs of less than 2 hours – magic!
How To Fill The Vaptio Solo Flat
- Pull on the mouthpiece – either the mouthpiece will just come off or the whole pod will come out.
- If the whole pod comes out pull the pod from the mouthpiece.
- Put the pod back into the mod.
- Lift up the rubber plug on the top of the pod.
- Add e-liquid into the filling hole – don’t be too eager though as it can bubble back up if you fill it too fast.
- Replace the plug and check it is fully pushed in.
- Replace the mouthpiece.
- If the first fill on a new pod leave to stand for 10 minutes to allow the liquid to soak into the coil.
As a bit of advice you really do not want this to go low on e-liquid as it will damage the coil and therefore the whole pod will need changing.
However you can only really see the liquid level if you remove the mouthpiece which I had to keep doing.
How To Change The Pod
The pod contains the atomiser coil. When this is past it’s best you may notice a drop in performance and the pod requires replacement.
Also if you get short circuit fault code flashing or a leak you could try to replace the pod to see if that stops the problem
- Simply pull on the mouthpiece and pull the pod from the mod.
- Install a new pod, fill as above and replace the mouthpiece.
Vaptio Solo Flat Performance
Wow this little bugger really surprises you!
With a 50/50 PG/VG e-liquid of 12mg nicotine the flavour, warmth, vapour, throat hit and airflow are all just absolutely spot on!
I did naughtily try a 80%VG E-liquid in here and it worked fine but the flavour was not as good. So I would stick to lower VG mixes.
What an absolute little cracker of a vape! Really enjoy this a lot.
The battery capacity isn’t huge on this and with heavy vaping it can conk out on you unexpectedly which is a bit of a downside for me.
Timing my use I got 3 hours of pretty heavy usage before the flashing light kicked off and it went to sleeps.
- Lovely flavour, throat hit, airflow and vapour wow!
- Very light and stealthy
- Good kit includes a spare pod
- Top fill
- No leaks and reliable
- Extremely easy to use
- 1.5 hours to fully charge!
- The battery LED doesn’t display remaining battery life – just flashes when discharged – not cool.
- Pod and mouthpiece do not fit as well as they should.
- Viewing windows for liquid level too dark to see it – so you have to pull the pod out to check the level.
- Instruction manual not great.
Final Review Verdict
I really really like vaping on the Vaptio Solo Flat pod mod and have been taking it everywhere with me as it is so pocket friendly!
So looks wise – it isn’t up to much in the black – however when you vape on it you are so gobsmacked with how well it performs. In fact the looks work in its favour as you don’t expect much from it.
I love this – what a great device.
It is not without flaws though sadly – so here is the pessimistic part…
There needs to be a battery capacity indicator – just a light flashing when the battery is dying is really no help when you are out and about.
The pod fit is a bit strange, I keep pushing the pod further in and the mouthpiece on all the time as gaps do keep appearing.
Seeing the liquid level means removing the mouthpiece a lot 🙁 .
I do think the Silver and Gold colours will look a lot classier as the black version does just look plasticky and cheap. But the performance makes you forget that straight away.
Vaptio have really done a great job with this – a huge improvement on their last pod mod the C-Flat which I didn’t get on well with.