JUUL removes mint pods for sale in the USA in yet another attempt at keeping on the right side of the FDA.
Meanwhile in the company’s home city of San Francisco – voters agreed with the proposed total vape ban meaning from next January no vape products or e-liquids will be allowed to be sold within the city limits.
Another day and another capitulation from JUUL that now seems desperate to keep ahead of any FDA flavour bans and of course keep a toe-hold in the US vaping market.
JUUL is partly owned by Big Tobacco’s Altria, that last week slashed the value of the company by a staggering $4.5 billion which equates to more than a third.
The cut is believed to be down to the Trump administrations ‘plan’ to ban all flavoured vape products. However there’s been no official word from the White House when or even if this is going to happen.
As I reported yesterday in the article: Is Trump About To Compromise On Total Flavour Ban? – an advisor to the president hinted that maybe vape shops would be exempt from any ban.
As to when the official announcement will come – all we know is it will be “very soon.”
According to Juul CEO “we must reset the vapor category in the U.S.” How about you just reset Juul? Small vape businesses selling products to adult smokers can't just "reset" by stopping sales. And more importantly, adult smokers can't just "reset" their lives and stop vaping. https://t.co/yRkdFaFC0h
— Azim Chowdhury (@ECIGattorney) November 7, 2019
Earlier this week anti-vape groups were furious that menthol and mint flavoured e-liquids and pods could be left on sale with even former FDA supremo Scott Gottlieb suggesting ‘mint’ was a candy flavour that appealed to kids.
In yet another capitulation, JUUL announced it’s removal of mint flavoured pods – yet another cynical act to keep one step ahead of any new legislation?
JUUL made the decision in light of the FDA’s 2019 National Youth Tobacco Survey which suggests 5 million kids in America are vaping with JUUL being the dominant device used.
These figures will of course be drilled into by pro-vaping groups and it will be interesting to see what they come up with.
However the figures suggest that after JUUL removed its fruit and creme flavours – mint became the flavour of choice, and given the claims are kids in their droves are using them – JUUL said it had to act.
JUUL Labs’ CEO K.C. Crosthwaite said:
These results are unacceptable and that is why we must reset the vapor category in the U.S. and earn the trust of society by working cooperatively with regulators, Attorneys General, public health officials, and other stakeholders to combat underage use.
We will support the upcoming FDA flavor policy and will follow the PMTA process.
Not sure quite what he means by ‘resetting the vapor category’ – I’m guessing the removal of all flavours leaving just tobacco and menthol playing straight into the hands of Big Tobacco owned brands?
JUUL Removes Mint Pods To Save Itself?
One thing is clear JUUL is doing all it can to stay in the game – at any cost.
JUUL hopes the removal of mint and indeed its other flavours removed earlier this year, is a temporary measure.
It’s hoping the upcoming PMTAs will see the flavoured pods passed as fit for sale by the FDA review process.
The statement from JUUL read:
As of today, JUUL Labs sells only Virginia Tobacco, Classic Tobacco, and Menthol JUUL pods in the U.S. and it will not sell any others under any name unless they are first authorized by the FDA as part of the PMTA process.
It will be VERY interesting to see if the company does indeed get FDA approval to be sold in the USA…
Watch this space as they say!
San Francisco Vape Ban To Go Ahead
JUUL had pumped $20 million into the campaign to fight the proposed vape ban in San Francisco but pulled out back in September.
Before JUUL stepped back it looked like the legislation – Prop. C – was going to be defeated, however that all changed.
This week saw the vote go ahead and Prop C was overwhelmingly passed.
Had JUUL stayed in the campaign there’s little doubt it would have had a major impact on the result and could have seen the total ban overturned.
Once again the company could be accused of throwing vaping and vapers under the bus to save its self…maybe 😉
Co author of vape ban legislation, City Attorney Dennis Herrera, was triumphant:
San Francisco voters are too smart to be fooled by Juul.
Juul is Big Tobacco, and it’s using a classic ploy from the Big Tobacco playbook to try and hook another generation of kids on nicotine.
Voters saw right through Juul’s deception.
The new laws meaning it is illegal to sell any kind of vape device or e-liquid within San Francisco will come into force in January 2020…lit tobacco will still be on sale…
JUUL is based in the city and has declined to comment on the ruling that could mean it might have to relocate, as the current company offices are rented or leased from the city council.
Another day and yet more craziness from across the pond.