I recently wrote an article on the COP10 “Call to action” by the NNA (New Nicotine Alliance).
I had to ask people to explain it to me (thank you Martin Cullip!) so I am sure a lot of you are confused too!
In order to help explain what impact the WHO (World Health Organisation) COP10 (Conference Of the Parties) FCTC (Framework Convention on Tobacco Control) could have on UK and Ireland tobacco control policies, the chair of the NNA – Louise Ross has created a video.
More details can be found on the NNA website.
How To Get Involved
- Write to your MP and express your objections to these threats. You can find out who your MP is and their contact details on the UK parliament website. Also you can use the website Writetothem to compose your message.
“Tell them why the products are so important and why WHO threats must be resisted. Ask them to pass on your concerns to the government and insist the UK stands up for vaping and other non-combustible nicotine alternatives to smoking. The UK delegates may or may not have been selected already but ask your MP to enquire who is on the delegation so you can write to them.”
- Write to the FCTC focal point person in your country. This will be the person who passes information between the FCTC Bureau and the Government. The focal point for the UK can be contacted here email@example.com. For those outside of the UK this link will tell you who is your focal point.
“Tell the focal point that you wish to know what current plans are being communicated from the FCTC Bureau to the UK government and vice versa. Ask them for updates, meeting minutes and other information about the COP10 process.”
- Tell your story in a polite but persistent way. Share your story of how vaping helped you quit smoking, emphasise the type of equipment and flavours which made your quit journey a success.
- I suggest you mention that it scares you how this important tool in your non smoking journey could be at risk.
- Also emphasise how vaping will play a huge part in meeting “Smoke Free” goals.
- Share your messages and letters with the NNA.
- Also share on social media any posts regarding the campaign!
Please get involved and get your voice heard!
NNA Chair, @grannylouisa, answers questions about our call to action on the @WHO COP10 meeting in this three and a half minute film. What is the meeting about, why is it a concern, and what can we do about it? Please take time to watch. #FCTCCOP10 https://t.co/lgzJcnrdDo
— NNAlliance (@NNAlliance) April 14, 2023