It’s a question that gets asked almost more than any other. What is the best e cig starter kit?
Truth is, there are a lot of great vape kits available, the real question you should be asking is:
What Is The Best E Cig Kit For YOU?
Maybe you are a smoker looking to switch or looking for a good vape starter kit for the smoker in your life.
This guide is here to help whether you are based in the UK, United States, Europe or beyond and is focused on the new vaper with simplicity in mind.
While on the surface this seems a simple enough query, there is in fact a whole host of different things that you, the person asking the question, will need to answer yourself.
If you want to know what these answers are scroll down to the bottom of this page.
If you just want our best e cig starter kits then read on.
1. SMOKO Vape Starter Kit (Editors Choice)
Looking for the best e cig for complete ease of use? Then the Smoko Vape starter kit is the one for you. Here is what will happen when you receive this kit.
Step 1: Open the box
Step 2: Attached the tank to the battery (It’s pre-filled with e-liquid)
Step 3: Vape (Don’t even need to press a button)
You could do that right? Of course you can. Even those with an aversion to anything tech can use this.
So we have mentioned the pre-filled cartridges/tank. What impressed in our testing was the actual flavours. The Menthol, Tobaccos and cigar flavours are excellent for smokers that are making the switch.
They do of course have a number of other flavours available if you want to get away from that familiar tobacco flavour.
During use we experienced zero leaking and the automatic draw was very reactive and worked every time.
There isn’t much more to say about this apart from don’ let its simplicity fool you into thinking it isn’t effective.
As our reviewer said “One of the best starter kits I’ve reviewed…absolutely PERFECT for those smokers looking to quit.”
- One of the most simple vapes to use
- No messy e-liquid refills due to pre-filled tanks
- Realistic flavours
- Excellent value
- Just inhale to vape – No buttons to press
2. Apollo Brez (Best Juul Alternative)
If you are looking to switch to vaping and are looking for pure simplicity then the Apollo Brez could just be the perfect vape kit to start your journey.
The kit comes with 5 pre-filled salt nic pods included in the kit. Which is one reason we think this is one of the nest beginner vape kits available. You have everything you need to not only get you started but also keep you vaping for weeks without worrying about buying new pods.
To add to that it’s one of the best looking kits that is super slim, making it easy to carry around and slip in and out of your pocket.
More importantly, the flavours are some of the most impressive when it comes to pre-filled pods. The nic salt e-liquid that is included within the pods is also the best option for those wanting to stay of the cigs.
There is a lot to like about this setup.
- Dimensions: 104.6 x 16.2 x 8.2 mm
- Simple for new vapers
- Slim, Compact Design
- 320 mAh Internal Battery
- Salt Nic e-juice pods
3. Epuffer Magnum Snaps (Best Cig-a-Like Kit)
The Epuffer Magnum Snaps e cig kit is our top pick cig-a-like for new vapers making the switch.
Apart from the familiarity of the looks the main selling point of the Magnum Snaps is that it features a rechargeable case (called a PCC – Personal Charging Case). May sound simple but as cig-a-like batteries are small the battery life isn’t great.
With the Magnum you simply take a few drags of your e cig and place the battery back in the case and it begins charging. This is a must for when you are out and about.
The kit is high quality and comes with all you need to get started – 2 batteries, 3 cartridges and of course the PCC. The thing we really like is that you can try the kit and if you don’t like it you can return for a full refund.
- Simple to use
- Build quality very good
- Good flavours
- 30 Day money back guarantee – Even if you have used the kit
4. Apollo Ohm Go (Best Kit or both MTL and DTL vaping)
The Apollo Ohm Go kit looks the business. Luckily it’s not a case of ‘all fur coat and no knickers’.
The Ohm Go kit provides two vaping experiences in one. Mouth to lung (MTL) with the supplied 1.0 ohm coil, this is a similar experience that you would get smoking a cigarette. Restricted Direct to lung (DTL) with the supplied 0.5Ohm coil, this will give you that sub ohm vaping experience you may have heard so much about. Albeit a toned down version.
Both coils offer superb flavour and plenty of vapour.
Before you think that it sounds difficult to operate, think again. The Ohm Go is a ‘self adjusting’ vape pen.
By self adjusting we mean you don’t have to fiddle with any wattage settings, the device detects the coil and changes the wattage automatically giving you the optimum vape every time. The only thing it doesn’t do is vape itself.
The tank is top-fill making it easy to fill when you are on the move. All you need with this kit is to add e liquid and your good to go.
If you hadn’t guessed yet. We really like this vape pen kit.
- Build quality and design are top notch
- 1900mAh battery
- Offers sub ohm vaping and mouth to lung
- Self adjusting device for the above (no messing around with wattage/power settings)
- Top fill
- Excellent flavour and cloud production
5. JAC Vapour VIM (Best Budget Vape kit)
Looking for a more compact, pocket friendly device that is super easy to use? Then the Jac Vapour VIM AIO is our top pick.
The VIM AIO (All In One) kit offers the perfect starting point for smokers making the switch due to its ease of use. Simply fill the supplied tank (or use the pre-filled pods if you want to go pure simplicity), pop it into the slot in the battery and vape. It’s really that easy. For the more experienced vaper this is also a great choice for a backup device or for those looking for a no fuss e cig that performs.
The VIM offers smokers a Mouth to lung (MTL – Similar to smoking a cigarette) as well as the option for a restricted Direct to Lung (DTL – Inhale directly into the lungs). This is dependent on your coil choice, all of which is very well explained on the JAC Vapour website.
For such a compact e cig the VIm also offers excellent battery life with the inbuilt 2600mAh battery. Depending on the coil you choose it should see most vapers through the day. You can also vape this device whilst charging.
Flavour wise JAC Vapour offer realistic tobacco/Menthol flavours as well as a wide range of fruits and desserts. If you are switching from smoking we’d recommend the SMOKING range of e-liquids for familiarity.
Another plus is that JAC Vapour are an established UK company that design their own products. In a vape world dominated by Chinese brands we think it’s good to ‘shop local’.
That’s it in a nutshell. Highly recommended if you are looking for a no fuss simple device.
- Excellent Value
- Dimensions: 76mm x W: 20mm x L:40.5mm
- Lightweight but solid build
- 2600mAh battery
- Offers sub ohm vaping and mouth to lung
- Self adjusting device for the above (no messing around with wattage/power settings)
- Excellent flavour
- UK Company with industry leading customer service
6. Jacvapour Series S-22 (Best Vape Mod Kit for Beginners)
I’m sure you’ve seen this brand recommended a number of times within this e cig buying guide. The reason is simple, Jacvapour are not only a trusted UK e cig company but they offer a number of top quality electronic cigarettes and e liquids in the UK.
Moving on to one of their latest e cigarettes, the Series S-22.
This is a nice compact mod that offers top performance while being a perfect starting point for a beginner.
The tank that comes with the kit offers both mouth to lung and direct to lung vaping. If you are new to vaping you will likely be best suited to the mouth to lung coil.
Definitely up there with my favourite vape kits for ease of use, it’s a case of popping your tank on and vaping. No wattage controls to worry about!
- Excellent build quality
- Perfect for new vapers with no confusing settings
- Looks great and is pocket friendly
- Good flavour and clouds from the S-22 tank
- Discount code available for all ecigclick readers.
The above are what we class as the best vape kits for new vapers for each product type.
The below are also highly recommended. If you feel you need a few more options keep on reading.
7. Dinner Lady Pod (Best Disposable Vape)
Personally I’m not a big fan of disposables but as a quick fix when you have no other choice they can be a good option. They can also be good if you are just looking to try some of their flavours for the first time.
One of the better options available is the Dinner Lady disposable pod device.
The flavours are good and with 5 on offer they cover pretty much all the categories. And of course, Lemon Tart is one of them for the fans out there. The nic strength is set at 20mg with the use of nic salts so should also satisfy the craving as well.
- Eaach device equivalent to 20 cigarettes (According to Dinner Lady)
- Good flavours (including Lemon Tart)
- Well Priced – Plus Multi pack offers
8. V2 Pro Series 3 (Best 3 in 1 Vape Pen)
The V2 Pro Series 3 offers that little bit more than your standard vape pen.
This device gives the users the option to switch the e liquid tank out for a dry herb tank. All still using the same battery that automatically detects which tank you have installed.
Of course, if you just want to vape e liquid that’s fine! This is one of the easiest kits there is to use. The refill tank is held in place by magnets, simply drop the tank into the top of the battery and it slots in place. It’s as easy as that.
The V2 Pro Series 3 is also a very slick looking device and light enough to be carried around easily in your pocket or bag. The tank is filled through the top and in our testing had no leaking whatsoever. So mess free all-round.
A great starting point for new vapers or those looking to step upto a vape pen or upgrade their current device.
- Solid build quality
- Great looking device
- 650mAh battery
- Leak free
- Loose leaf tank can be purchased separately for a different vape experience
- Money back guarantee (Check T&C’s)
- Top performer for flavour
9. SMOK Nord (Best Pod System)
The SMOK Nord is one of the newer pod mods but one that performs incredibly well for such a small device. It comes complete with two coils, one 1.4Ohm and one 0.6Ohm. The former is designed for mouth to lung vaping and the latter gives you an airy draw allowing for more of a direct to lung hit. The 0.6ohm mesh coil was our favourite but the 1.4ohm also delivers very good flavour.
If you are just quitting smoking and looking for an e cigarette then it doesn’t get much easier than this. Press the button and take a drag.
The 1100mAh battery is impressive and depending on your vaping style and frequency could see you a full day with the 1.4ohm coil.
All in all a superb device that can be used with nic salt e-liquid (recommended) and higher VG vape juice with the 0.6ohm coil.
- Simple to use
- Excellent flavour
- Can vape whilst charging
- Refillable pods
- 1100mAh battery
10. Innokin EZ Watt (Best Compact Vape mod)
It’s by no means the latest box mod on the market but the EZ Watt by Innokin is a great vape mod and easy for vapers new to these type of devices to get the hang of.
It fits comfortably into the palm of my hand, the build quality is excellent (a hallmark of Innokin mods) and the paired T20S Tank provides a very good mouth to lung vape.
The EZ Watt is loaded with a 1500mAh capacity battery that gives you plenty of vaping time and while the 35W power output may not be enough for some sub ohm vapers it makes for an easy entry in the vape mod world.
There are no tricky menus to navigate, the EZ Watt has just 3 vaping modes, 13-14W – 16-18W and 30-35W. Very simple indeed.
Great product again from Innokin.
- Feels really solid in the hand
- Compact size fits nicely in the palm
- Kit comes with 2 X coil (0.8Ohm and 1.5Ohm)
- Three vape modes for different types of vape.
- 1500 mAh Battery
- By Innokin, a trusted e cig brand
11. Innokin Endura T18 II (Best Selling Vape Pen)
This vape pen kit from Innokin is one of the newest e cigs to hit the market and quite possibly their best to date.
The Endura T18 II is a great starting point for first time vapers and those making the step up from mini e cigs or for current vapers looking for a back up. Very simple to use, just fill your tank, screw it to the battery and you are ready to go.
You can also choose between three different power settings to make your vape cooler or warmer, tailoring the vape to fit your needs.
The battery is 1300 mah which – when paired with the included 1.5ohm coil – should see most vapers through the majority of the day. The T18II tank also offers great flavour and good vapour production to get the most out of your favourite e-liquid.
Add to all of this the top quality build and the reassurance that it has been produced by one of the leading e cigarette brands there aren’t too many negatives that come to mind.
- Trusted vape brand
- Excellent quality
- 1300mAh Battery
- One of the best selling starter kits
- Easy to use.
- 3 X power settings for different vaping styles.
- Just add e-liquid and it’s ready to use
12. Aspire Zelos Kit (Best Intermediate Vape Mod)
Aspire e cigarettes have been in the vaping world since way back. So it’s safe to say they are at trusted brand that are here to stay.
One of their latest releases, the Aspire Zelos vape mod, is a compact little vape that packs plenty of power (50W). Not only will this device keep the more advanced vapers happy but also future proof new vapers looking for a step up or starter mod.
This mod will fit easily in the pocket and looks great with the Nautilus 2 tank (included in the kit) attached. But you won’t want to keep it there too long as it looks the business!
The 2500 mAh battery will give you plenty of vape time as well. Did I mention they have also squeezed temperature control capabilities in there? For those that want it (you don’t have to use it) it’s there.
- Compact mod with excellent build quality
- 50W power output
- Temp Control for vapers that want it
- 2500 mah battery
- Kit comes complete with an excellent tank, the Nautilus 2
- From one of the most reputable & long standing brands
Other Recommended Cig-A-Likes
Another cig-a-like kit that I first came across many years ago, V2 Cigs have built upon their popularity by producing a solid range of e cigarettes for all levels of users.
The particular starter kit we recommend here is the perfect starting point for new vapers looking for a smaller e cig. V2 have plenty of flavor options with their pre-filled cartomizers but also offer bottled e-liquid and refillable cartomizers allowing you to use any e-juice you choose.
There are a number of Vapour2/V2 starter kits from those with one battery to the Ultimate kits that covers everything you would need and more. One thing we would recommend is to go for a kit with at least 2 batteries, very important.
- One of the best cig-a-like kits available
- ‘Plug & Play’ easy for new vapers
- Quality product from a trusted, worldwide brand
- Wide range of flavours to choose from
- Kits to suit most budgets
- Money back guarantee. Even if you have used the product
- 10% off all Vapour2/V2 vape gear with coupon below.
Other Recommended Pod Mod Vapes
Pod mods took the vaping world by storm in 2018 and have reached fever pitch going into 2020. For good reason as well. They are one of the simplest, mess free devices available.
There are various styles of pod mod systems. The pen style is arguably the most popular but there has been an increase in these pod style vapes. You will also see that some offer refillable tanks while some just offer pre-filled cartridges, when you are done you simply swap them out.
It really couldn’t get any easier. If you are a new vaper looking for the simplicity of a cig-a-like then this could be for you.
Pretty much everything Innokin produce nowadays delivers. The latest is the Innokin Sceptre pod system.
A beautiful looking device that allows for both MTL and DTL vaping, you can fill the pods with your own e-liquid and the coils can also be swapped out once spent.
Both battery and coil life are excellent with the Sceptre and it even offers an auto draw function for the lazy vapers out there who don’t want to be messing around pressing buttons 🙂
- Sleek design and excellent build quality
- Great battery and coil life
- Simple to use
- Refillable pods
- Reputable, trusted brand
Other Recommended Vape Pen Starter Kits
These are our other recommendations from numerous vape pen starter kits we have tried and reviewed. All are excellent starter kits.
Jacvapour Series S-17 Starter Kit
The Jacvapour Series S-17 Kit is the new kid on the block from UK brand jacvapour and by far their best yet in it’s category.
The Series S-17 kit has been built for simplicity.
Yet is still offers vapers both mouth to lung and direct lung inhale options. The beauty of this device is that you do not have to mess around with any wattage controls which can be confusing to new vapers.
Simply fill your tank. Place it on the battery and vape. The battery will adjust the power output automatically depending on the coil used.
The 900 mAh battery offers a decent amount of vape time and the coils, excellent flavour.
A superb starter kit for those new to vaping and priced very competitively.
- ‘Plug and play’ easy to use. No confusing choices to make
- Excellent build quality and design
- 900 mAh Battery
- Excellent Price
- 10ml E Liquid Included in kit
- 2 X Coils included that offer mouth to lung and direct to lung vape options
- Excellent customer service from the Jacvapour team
Other Recommended Vape Mods
The following recommendations are all box mods (or vape mods as they are also known).
We have seen a huge influx of these types of devices released to market with great fanfare.
The hype is justified though, some of these vape mods are fantastic. They are however a little more advanced and require more of a learning curve, they aren’t necessarily for everyone. Having said that, they are very easy to use.
Here are our recommended Vape Mod Starter Kits that are good for beginners.
Vaporesso Luxe Nano
Well, what a beauty of a vape mod! The Vaporesso Luxe Nano offers a compact design with stunning looks which are mainly due to the large 1.3″ TFT touch screen dominating the front of the device.
It has all the bells and whistles you would expect from a high end mod but is also simple for new vapers to get the hang of, as long as you don’t mind a little learning curve.
The mod comes with a built in 2500mAh battery and is topped by the SKRR-s sub ohm tank with 2 x coils included. Everything you need to get started.
So while the Luxe Nano isn’t going to be a ‘plug and play’ type of e cig for those that are looking to future proof their vape with advanced features you could do a lot worse.
- Beautiful design
- Top quality construction
- 2500mAh internal battery
- 80W output
- Trusted brand
Voopoo Drag Mini
The Voopoo Drag Mini is one of our favourite kits design wise but maybe not one that will suit all new vapers so treat this as a bit of a wild card.
This, in kit form with the tank, is for sub ohm vapers that use the direct to lung method of vaping. That’s not to say it won’t work with mouth to lung tanks if you want to add one to your vape setup.
It’s a beautiful mod with resin panels and feels sturdy in the hand without being too bulky. This is a mod to impress with.
Firing upto 117W it packs in all of the features advanced vapers would expect while still being easy to get to grips with for new vapers. The 4400 mAh battery will keep the most power hungry tank going for a good amount of time.
- Beautiful design and solid build quality
- Upto 117W Power output
- 4400mAh battery
- Kit comes with U Force 2 tank that includes 2 coils (0.4Ohm and 0.13ohm)
- Great for extended battery life
So there we have it, these are our recommendations for the best e cig kits on the market in 2020 for new vapers.
What E Cig Should I Buy?
The first thing that needs to be decided if you are new to vaping:
- What size e cigarette do you want?
- What e cig size is best for your needs? ie: Are you a heavy smoker? If so a kit with a larger battery may be needed) Do you want portability? Do you want a discreet vape?
- Are you a mouth to lung or Direct to Lung (Sub Ohm) vaper? – Important to know this before deciding anything. In short most new vapers making the switch from smoking will be mouth to lung (MTL) vapers as this is how the majority smoke a cigarette.
The Four Main E Cig Product Categories:
Mini e cigarettes: (Also referred to as a ‘cig-a-like’)
These can range in sizes but are the smallest and most familiar (to smokes) e cigarettes available. Some are the same size as a cigarette and certain e cig brands have a variety of sizes, the bigger ones having a larger battery capacity.
All tend to have the appearance of a cigarette. These can be good e cigs for beginners to help the transition to e cigarettes. They offer a mouth to lung vaping experience, similar to the way most smoker. There are downsides to them however.
A fairly new e cig category and one picking up steam in 2018/2019. These are designed to take the mess out of vaping and provide a plug and play experience.
Take a look at our full ‘Best Pod Mod Vape‘ post for an in depth look at our top choices.
Vape Pens / Stick Style E Cigs
These are of course bigger but provide longer battery life. Great for new vapers or the next step for those currently using cig-a-likes.
Most offer a mouth to lung (MTL) vape but there are increasing number of sub ohm (Direct to Lung) kits coming to market should you wish to experiment.
Take a look at our ‘Best Vape Pens‘ list for a more in depth look at this category.
Box | Vape Mods
These would generally be used as a step up from vape pens but we have seen such an increase in popularity for these that many new vapers are opting to go for these from the outset.
There is a slight learning curve but they are super simple to use, if you are willing to take 10 minutes to learn then they are a superb choice.
The majority of these kits are best used with sub ohm tank (Direct to Lung) but Mouth to Lung (MTL) tanks can also be used, there are also benefits to using the latter.
Check out our ‘Best Vape Mods‘ list for more choices.
Pros and Cons of Mini E Cigs (Cig-A-Likes)
These are usually the first port of call for a high percentage of smokers making the switch to electronic cigarettes.
I will try and keep it simple by listing the positives / negatives that comes with this type of e cigarette.
- ‘Plug and play’ option
- Makes the transition to e cigarettes more familiar due to their small appearance.
- Highly portable and discreet enough to carry around and use when out and about.
- Good for a no nonsense ‘charge and vape’ first e cig experience.
- The lightest e cig option. (Although don’t expect them to be the same weight as a cigarette!)
- Good entry point into the world of e cigarettes.
- The smaller the batteries the less charge they carry = Less vaping time and frequent charging.
- Limited battery life will mean (at a minimum) 2 batteries are recommended to be carried around at all times.
- Heavy smokers will get very annoyed with battery life and want to throw their mini e cig out of the window. To get around this a kit with at least 2+ spare batteries is recommended or a portable charging case.
- Limited opportunity to customize
- The quality of mini e cigs can vary widely, choose carefully, cheapest isn’t always the best.
As a former smoker (15 Marlboro Lights a day) I personally found mini e cigs a great starting point when first starting out. I was drawn to the cig-a-likes for the very reason that they were small and looked like a cigarette and for me at the time this was a very important feature.
It has to be said there wasn’t the choice back in 2010 that we have today, however.
Even to this day I don’t want to take a huge e cigarette out with me when I go to a bar or restaurant. I will take a small vape pen or a pod system if real stealth vaping is required! Both will be mouth to lung vapes as they produce less clouds/vapour.
Here at Ecigclick we have tried and tested over 50 different mini e cigarette brands to date with only a few being worth spending any money on. The two cig-a-like kits recommended above are, for us, the best available.
Pros and Cons of Vape Pens / Stick Style E Cigarettes
This type of vape kit is again used as an entry point to vaping for many smokers, mainly those that are not too concerned with buying an e cigarette that looks like a cigarette.
These type of e cigs are about the size of a cigar or a marker pen, depending on the type you go for. The smaller the device the smaller the battery capacity.
They are also ‘the next step’ for a number of vapers that may find they need an e cig with a longer battery life (as opposed to a cig-a-like) and more options to tailor their e cig experience more to their personal vaping needs and preference.
There are again many different options here from your basic e cig which consists of a battery and a tank to devices that allow you to change either the wattage/voltage to customize the way you vape.
Sub ohm vape pens are also now proving popular but not necessarily the best place to begin your vaping journey.
- Improved battery life when compared with cig-a-likes, allowing for more uninterrupted vaping. The larger the ‘mAh‘ rating the longer the battery life.
- Fill with own e-liquid which can be more cost effective in the long run.
- Very often more than one coil type will be available. This basically means you can try a couple of different vaping styles.
- Coils are replaceable in the tanks. Again, cost effective.
- May be too big for some users, especially those that don’t want to draw attention.
- Quality can vary. Be sure only to buy reputable brands from reputable companies. Be wary of cheap e cigs and vape pens from market stalls.
Pros and Cons of Vape Mods | Box Mods
There are different features such as variable wattage, temperature control or indeed both in the same device.
Most are also good devices for new vapers that may want to experiment with sub ohm vaping further down the line as they can accommodate both mouth to lung and sub ohm tanks.
Let’s not get ahead of ourselves though!
There are two main types of box mod you will come across:
- Mods with integrated battery – When the battery eventually fails the whole mod needs to be replaced
- Mods with replaceable batteries – No need to replace the whole mod when the battery performance deteriorates, just swap out the batteries. Does require battery knowledge and additional purchase of external charger.
I personally use both and have had a mod with integrated battery last over well over one year. For a £30/£40 device that’s pretty good going.
If going for a mod with replaceable batteries it’s important to learn about battery safety, how to carry spare batteries and charge them safely.
All the box mods I recommend below are regulated, in other words they feature micro computers to control settings as entered by the user. Please stay away from mech mods (unregulated) if you do not not what you are doing.
- Battery life can be considerably longer depending on the setup allowing for long periods of vaping without requiring a charge. Perfect for heavy vapers or those that use their device out and about away from a charge point.
- Many have variable wattage settings that allow you to control the power output which in turn helps tailor settings for optimal user experience. Ie: More / less vapor – Warmer / cooler vape.
- Batteries can be removed and replaced (in some) rather than having to replace the whole device.
- Certain devices can provide the power for those wanting to get into sub ohm vaping further down the line.
- Can be used with Mouth to Lung (MTL) vape tanks – Battery life will be even better with these types of tanks due to the low power they require to work.
- It is necessary to know the capabilities of these devices before buying. They aren’t for everyone.
- Learning curve – Some vapers just want a simple / straightforward device.
Of course we can only advise what the best e cig is based on what we have used but we are reviewing new e cigarettes, vape pens and vape mods all the time and will of course update this page as we go where necessary.
Keep in mind this post is for vape kits aimed toward beginner vapers or those stepping up from beginner devices.
Now it is just down to you to decide what option fits with your needs! If you need recommendations for e-liquid be sure to check out our Best Vape Juice list.
Finally, if you have any further questions on what the best e cig kit could be for you just ask below in the comments or get in touch using the contact link located at the top of this website. We will get back to you ASAP!
As always be sure to vape safe!