MUTATION XS RDA BY PROJECT SUB OHM REVIEW
The Project Sub Ohm Mutation XS is the redesigned ‘mini’ version of the recently released Mutation X V4, boasting the new features found in the Unicig designed Mutation X V4 but compressed into a rebuildable dripping atomiser measuring only 17mm in height.
The original Mutation series of RDA’s designed by Unicig/Indulgence has been arguably the most popular series of RDA’s ever released, offering exceptional performance for cloud chasers at a very low price, and recently with the introduction of under coil airflow on the Mutation X V4, great flavour to match as well.
The Mutation XS has been designed by Project Sub Ohm in the USA, responsible for some excellent atomisers such as the Silverplay, and hopefully, their Midas touch translates into gold with the Mutation XS! The Mutation X V4 has taken the market by storm, but does the smaller Project Sub Ohm designed XS version match up to its bigger brother?
Mutation XS RDA Kit Contents
The Mutation XS by Project Sub Ohm is packaged almost identically to the Mutation X V4, in a neat white box, and houses the following contents inside-
- Project Sub Ohm designed Mutation XS
- Pre Installed 11mm wide bore competition delrin drip tip
- Exclusively Designed Signature Edition 11mm White Delrin Shorty Widebore Competition
- Drip Tip
- Beveled Heat Reducing Delrin 510 Adaptor Top Cap
- Silicon Bottom Airflow Sealing Plugs
- Additional O-Rings, Screws, and Screwdriver
Mutation XS RDA Set Up
First things first I would check your Mutation XS by Project Sub Ohm for machine oil residue. I found quite a fair bit of machine oil present on the deck and underneath the screw heads which required a good clean before I began to build on the deck.
Once clean, you have the same deck arrangement as the Mutation X V4 – that is is a split centre positive post arrangement with two negative posts milled into the deck for improved conductivity. Juice well isn’t particularly large but the deck is nice and big to build on- just watch that you don’t short your coils on the internal AFC ring when going for some thick coils!
Like the V4 you find generously sized post holes, the Mutation series is all about crazy builds and huge clouds! Unfortunately, the post screws themselves have poor threading, I had a lot of trouble trapping down my coil legs when using 0.5mm and above kanthal, but I eventually got there in the end!
You have three airflow holes on the deck- you want to make sure that your coil is over these for maximum flavour. The adjustable under coil airflow can be found to the side of this- however juice has a real tendency to leak out of these holes.
You can plug these slots up with the included silicon plugs but this will be at the detriment to flavour. The Mutation XS can be set up in single or dual coil easily as either side of the airflow can be completely blocked off leaving one side still open and adjustable.
I went for 8 wraps of 0.5mm kanthal with a 3mm coil internal diameter and this just about squeezed in under the top cap!
Mutation XS RDA By Project Sub Ohm Key Features
- Ultra compact 17mm height
- Multi-sized Angled Bottom Airflow, 1.5mm, 2.0mm, and 3.0mm size options, airflow controlled by included silicon sealing plug
- Dual Parallelogram Side Airflow Array, 18 total airflow holes in a 3 x 3 array, each a 2mm size
- Bladed Angular Side Airflow Control- single, dual, or fully closed
- 11mm black Delrin wide bore competition drip tip
- 11mm white Delrin exclusive signature edition shorty wide bore competition drip tip included
- Slightly beveled heat reducing Delrin 510 adapter top cap
- Negative posts milled into the deck with 2mm post tholes
- Split positive post with 2mm post holes
- 5mm deep juice well
- Philips Screw Heads
- Double O-Ring secured base
- 304 Stainless Steel construction
- Available in Stainless Steel, Black, and White
- Silver plated copper connection
- PEEK Insulators
- Exclusively designed signature edition box
- Iconic Project Sub-Ohm™ Logo
- Individually Serialized for that personal touch
- 100% Designed, Engineered, and Developed in California, USA solely by Project Sub-Ohm
Mutation XS RDA By Project Sub OHM Performance
Most people are going to buy a Mutation series RDA for one reason- clouds. The Mutation series is really at the top of the game when it comes to cloud chasing and the Mutation XS is very much in the same vein.
You can blow absolutely enormous clouds with the Mutation XS, real competition level stuff if that is your thing, even with the airflow partially closed down the Mutation XS still blows bigger clouds than a lot of rival RDA’s. Even in single coil, with half the airflow closed, the levels of vapour can only be described as ridiculous!
With the airflow wide open, the clouds are just insane, the Mutation XS leads the way when in this configuration, it is probably the airiest vape you will ever experience, almost like drawing on air.
Flavour, as per with the Mutation X V4, is vastly improved and the best in the series so far with the addition of the under coil airflow holes. This now means that air is drawn in and hits the coils underneath vastly improving flavour and meaning that the Mutation series can for once now rival a lot of flavour focused RDA’s available.
I notice a slight improvement in flavour over the Mutation X V4 with the reduced size but in turn the vape is also warmer too. You can really get the best of both worlds with the Mutation XS!
Like the V4, the Mutation XS is flawed. The same issues are here such as juice leaking out of the bottom airflow and slightly questionable build quality, especially with the post holes and screws, but the good does still outweigh the bad.
If you already own the original Mutation X V4 there isn’t really any benefit in purchasing a Mutation XS as it offers pretty much the same, but anyone looking for one of the best cloud chasing experiences out there should look no further than the Mutation XS.
At the price you can pick these up for it represents a real bargain for such an high performing and genuine RDA. It’s definitely one of the market leaders for chasing clouds, a hallmark of the Mutation series, that’s for sure!
- Incredible cloud production
- Flavour improved over the V4 with a smaller height
- Supports single or dual coil builds
- Massive amount of airflow options
- Can still slot in plenty of different crazy builds even with the reduced height
- Cheap genuine RDA
The Not So good
- When the bottom airflow is open juice has an annoying tendency to leak out of the airflow holes
- Iffy build quality with the supplied screws- I had trouble trapping coil legs down using
- Kanthal over 0.5mm
- Machine oil residue present under the screws and on the deck
- As per the Mutation X V4, the juice well is pretty small
- AFC ring can touch against your coils with larger builds when installing the top cap causing shorts
Use Discount Code ECIGCLICK for 5% Off (Valid On Above Link)
Readers From The USA