The blu PRO kit is a vape pen style device which is refillable and can be recharged. The addition of a liquid tank means this is a step up from a cig-a-like device which blu are well known for. Their previous models include the blu E-cigs kit and the blu Plus+ Slide kit.
With a vape pen device you have the freedom to choose the liquid and strength you want. Also these are more economical and less waste than cartomiser or cartridge devices.
blu promises a smooth consistent vapour through the ergonomic mouthpiece.
What’s In The Box
- blu PRO rechargeable device – only compatible with blu PRO clearomiser (generation 2016)
- blu PRO tank clearomiser tank – only compatible with blu PRO battery (generation 2016)
- USB charging cable
- Instruction leaflet
- 1100mAh internal battery
- 3 hour charging time
- Top filling.
- Battery indicator light
- Tank window to view liquid level
- Length : 17.4 cm
- Refillable tank – approximately 300 puffs per full tank
- Optimised coil resistance gives your purer, cleaner taste
- 10 second puff cut out
- Blue triangle tips with five LED charge indicators
- Easy side USB charging port
- One button operation – the button is also backlit.
Build Quality & Design
There are only 3 components to this device – the battery, clearomiser tank and mouthpiece.
The device is a black rubberised finish which feels lovely to hold.
The back-lights in general use are a bright blue. The button light turns red when discharged.
The lights are bright and colourful and enhance the looks of this in my opinion. The fire button itself is a lovely design – the triangle in the centre and the outer ring all light up together with the little battery indicator notches on the base. The tip also has a light up blue triangle too.
The blu PRO starter kit is for sale online, local shops and even supermarkets in the UK. The kit is retailing around the £15 mark. Which is pretty good value when you consider that is the price of only 3 disposable cig-a-likes.
The blu PRO Clearomiser Tank
The clearomiser tanks will need to be replaced at some point. The liquid and kit are stocked in lots of places. But the replacement clearomiser tanks are a rare species. Of the 4 major UK supermarkets only one stocked them – and they are priced at around £5. That price is for one empty tank – remember you will also have to buy liquid for this.
Although the tanks are expensive remember with a tank you are then free to use whatever ecig liquid brand, strength and flavour you wish. It is a huge financial saving on buying prefilled cartridges too.
These tanks are not designed for High VG liquid so 50/50% PG/VG maximum is recommended. If possible stay below 50% VG as it is a lot thicker and doesn’t absorb into the wicks inside the tank as well. For information about VG and PG click here.
The mouthpiece feels great and the tanks have the same rubberised black coating as the battery which makes this feel more expensive.
The battery has a screw thread to connect it to the tank. It does not have an internal thread just an external one. I tried some standard 510 and ego style tanks on this and sadly none of them fit.
This is super long and slim. It is extremely light. It isn’t a stealth kit which you could stuff up your sleeves – unless you have arms like Mr Tickle. Plus it glows like a 90’s rave so not easy to hide!
How Does The blu PRO Kit Perform?
I used the liquid from the blu E-liquid range- they contain VG and PG – but no actual proportions given. This liquid is designed for blu devices so should be the perfect partner.
First let’s take a quick look at our quick start guide to show you how easy this is to get up and vaping.
Basic operation of the Blu Pro
- 5 click on/off – button and tip will flash 3 times to confirm.
- 20 flashes of button and tip = battery discharged
- Button will flash red when battery discharging
Charging The Battery
The website states the battery is supplied partially charged and they recommend you fully charge before use.
- Plug the small connector of the USB charger into the blu PRO battery charging port.
- Plug the USB charger into a suitable USB outlet.
- The light on the charger will glow red and the tip of the battery will flash to indicate battery is charging.
- Once fully charged the light on the charger will turn blue.
How To Fill The Blu Pro Clearomiser Tank
This style tank uses wicks to transport the liquid to the heating coil. All are encased behind the smooth black housing and see through tank window.
The tank is a top filling style- which always makes life a lot easier.
The cartridge needs to be upright when refilling. It will stand up on its own when removed from the battery – but with battery attached you have no chance of it standing upright.
- Unscrew the clearomiser from the battery.
- Unscrew the mouthpiece.
- Place the liquid nozzle or dripper tip against the inside edge of the clearomiser.
- Avoiding the centre tube fill the clearomiser and monitor the level through the tank window. Do not over fill. The correct fill level is the top of the window triangle.
- Screw the mouthpiece onto the clearomiser.
- Leave the clearomiser for 5-10 minutes to allow the wick to absorb the E-liquid.
- Screw the clearomiser onto the battery.
- After you’ve filled your e-liquid and before using it, take a few quick, short puffs without pressing the fire button.
- blu recommend you keep your clearomiser at least a quarter full to maintain a better flavour
How To Change The blu PRO Clearomiser Tank
blu recommend you replace your blu PRO Clearomiser every ten refills to maintain a consistent, flavourful vape.
The clearomiser simply screws on and off the battery connection.
I did receive 6 clearomiser tanks with this – as I had 6 e liquids to review as well. 1 tank was included in starter kit and got 5 supplied on their own in separate boxes.
5/6 tanks worked fine. The one tank on the left as you can see by the photo has no airflow holes when you compare it to the tank on the right. When it was put onto the battery I went a bit purple trying to inhale from it. I had a look if anything I could do with it but it does appear to not be fixable unless I get my drill out.
Flavour & Cloud Production
I first tried the blu Mint Chocolate liquid in this.
Wow to say I was shocked is an understatement. As you will see in my review for the Blu e liquid I got such an icy cold blast onto my tonsils on the inhale followed by a lovely chocolate taste on the exhale. So this made an impact on a few senses all at once which I wasn’t expecting.
I have to say I didn’t expect much in the way of flavour or vapour.
The flavour output is slightly better than I expected and the vapour output was a lot better than I expected.
This is a very cool vape – you do not get any heat at all. With the rest of the range of blu liquids the flavour continued to come through well and still good vapour.
You do get a throat hit – but that does depend on the liquid you are using. The minty liquids from blu gave me a hefty icy throat blast.
This isn’t a super powerful device so the battery life on 1100 mAh should be ok – however there is a lot of lighting on this – it likes to glow a bit – so this might make the batteries struggle a bit.
I have only been using this intermittently so haven’t had a full days use yet to test how the battery lasts. Will update this when I have.
With vape pens such as this, it is always recommended to have a second battery to use in rotation. This way you should, in theory, always be able to have a fully charged battery ready. If you were to do this we would recommended just buying a complete second kit as the price difference doesn’t warrant the stand alone battery.
What I Like
I think it looks lovely – the blue lights really make this stand out.
What I Dislike
It just seems too tall – hard to balance in your hand and won’t stand up on its own.
Final Review Verdict
The Blu Pro e cig is a great little starter kit. Although not as simple as a cig-a-like this is far more versatile enabling you to choose liquid brands, strengths and flavours to suit you. It will be more economical than cartridge type devices and you are not tied to a particular brand or flavour.
You can buy replacement tanks and replacement batteries. But the batteries alone are almost the same price as a new starter kit which comes with a new tank too so I would buy that.
This is a natural step up from cig-a-likes but still simple enough to be a starter kit.
More advance vapers will find this underwhelming – but this is not a device targeted at cloud chasers and temp control fans. But if you found yourself stuck with a broken or lost device – this would do you and you won’t have wasted your money.
The “Mom” test – could I give this device to my (cig-a-like using) mom to use?
Yes and she is the target market for this. She is normally scared of anything with a “tank” and sees it as hard work – but I think she would cope with this. She would be happy to be able to buy spares from the supermarket (this is the main criteria she uses to choose a device – wants to buy it from a shop in person).
Apart from one dud clearomiser everything else worked perfectly and seems of good quality construction.
- Attractive design, the rubber finish and various lights make this look great and elevate it from a plain vape pen style.
- Starter kit is excellent price.
- You can buy Blu products on the high st
- Better than expected taste and vapour.
- The brand name blu is targeted at starters so many will be familiar with it.
- Low maintenance
- The clearomiser tanks are not as easily available in stores and are quite expensive.
- 1 clearomiser of the 6 supplied was faulty.
- It seems very long – will not stand up on its own.