Introduction: The Skynow X from Vision
The Vision Skynow X is a weeny little pod mod in the style of a USB flash drive! It really has to be seen to be believed.
The brand Vision made their name in the vaping world with the renown Vision Spinner variable voltage E-Go style battery. It looks like they didn’t stop there creating popular vaping products.
I am bursting to see how the little USB drive pod mod works!
What’s In The Box
- Vision Skynow X Pod Mod
- USB charger
- User Manual
- Size: 11x22x97mm
- Battery length: 60mm
- Atomizer length: 42mm
- Battery output power: 8W
- Battery capacity: 450mAh
- Atomizer storage capacity: 1.7ml
- Charging time: 1.5h
- Colours available: Silver, Black, Gold and Blue
Build Quality & Design
To start with this is tiny! It really does look like a large USB memory stick. Even down to the swivel over cover cap which keeps the mouthpiece clean!
Setting it up is a bit tricky – but will get onto that further down the review.
The instruction booklet is pretty good – which does make me happy – I have seen some shocking manuals lately!
The packaging is confusing with compartments either side of the box! Anyway once you figure out how to get it out of the box you can hold this little beauty in your hand!
In The Hand
How Does the Vision Skynow X Perform?
There are no buttons or adjustments at all on this. You simply inhale on the mouthpiece and a pressure sensor triggers the coil to fire.
When not vaping simply swivel the cover over the mouthpiece.
If you want to turn the device off you slide the top part in the direction as shown- you will see a lock and unlock icon on the battery. It is the opposite direction to connect.
You cannot connect it the wrong way around it just will not go!
There is a battery charge indicator light (wooohooo!!) which displays the remaining battery capacity as follows:
- Green light = 100-50% charged.
- Yellow light = 49-15% charged.
- Red light = less than 15% charge remaining.
There are some electrical safety functions on the Skynow X:
- Indicator light flashes 3 times = short circuit protection
- Indicator light flashes 8 times = low power
How To Charge The Skynow X
Simply use the supplied USB cable, the small end goes into the Skynow’s bottom and the other end into a suitable USB outlet. The battery light will go out when fully charged.
How To Change The Pod
When the coil has reached the end of its life – either poor output or a horrible burnt taste with a fully charged battery and a full tank – you have to replace the whole pod.
- Remove the top part from the battery by sliding in the unlock direction.
- Remove the mouthpiece.
- Press on the electrical connector at the base of the top section.
- The pod will pop out.
- Fill the new pod with liquid as described below.
- Slide the new pod into the top section.
- Leave to stand for 10 minutes to allow the wicking material to absorb the E-liquid.
How To Fill The Skynow X Pod
Now it comes to something when you need pages of diagrams to work this out.
The Vision website dedicates 11 photos to show you how to do this – and it is tricky. However once you have mastered it you will know for next time.
- Remove the pod from the device as described above.
- Remove the sealing plug from the top of the pod.
- Add liquid to the sides of the pod – avoiding the centre section.
- Stop adding liquid when the level is close to the top of the centre tube – this also makes sure there is enough room for the plug to fit correctly.
- Replace the sealing plug- this can be tricky – especially with slippy hands! You need to make sure it is in position to avoid leaks.
- Replace the pod into the device.
Flavour & Cloud Production
I have no idea what resistance the coil is in this?
There is just simply a coil at the base of the tank – not a coil head with markings.
The instructions and website do not say what resistance.
So to be on the safe side with this being a starter vape mod I used a lower VG e-liquid.
I used a 50% VG / 50% VG e-liquid.
Further Reading: What is PG and VG in E-liquid?
Wow what a clever little thing this is!
You have a crackling nice burny noise when you inhale.
The flavour isn’t the best I have tasted however the vapour has impressed me -more vapour than I expected!
The throat hit with my 12mg strength liquid is pretty good too!
I left the tank for 10 mins and got no dry hits.
This is a very cool vape and that is why I think the taste isn’t strong. Also it is a really open airflow – not restricted – so might not be enough for a cigarette smoking sensation.
But the vapour production does kind of compensate!
Another good thing is I have found it doesn’t seem to cut out after a specified time when you inhale. Some automatic mods will only fire for 5 seconds then cut off – which sometimes isn’t long enough to get a good lung full!
I was finding I could use the DTL and MTL methods with this – wow!
The airflow is probably a little too airy for most MTL users but it still works fine!
In fact I couldn’t stop vaping on this – it really is excellent. I knew I was overdoing it when I got the “Vaping Voms”. In other words I had a bit too much nicotine in one go and felt a bit queasy – which does demonstrate how a small device like this can still provide you with a good nicotine hit.
The battery is 450mAh capacity – which does seem low – but this is a tiny device.
Not knowing the coil resistance makes it hard to judge if the battery is efficient – higher power devices will drain the battery quicker.
Anyway I will just simply time how long the battery lasts and I got 4.5 hours of pretty regular vaping.
What I Like
This is tiny and cute – really pocket friendly too with the mouthpiece cover.
Cracking vapour production which really surprised me!
I would happily take this out and about as it is so convenient and doesn’t guzzle the liquid.
The Autofire worked quickly and I had no faults with this at all.
What I Dislike
Pod refilling is more difficult than it should be.
It would have been nice to have a spare pod in the kit.
I have not been able to find replacement pods online yet?
Final Review Verdict
If you buy the Vision Skynow X do not expect a huge cloud chucking heat monster. Saying that though you get a lot more vapour than from similar devices!
If you want a gentle pod mod which will keep you away from ciggies or craving nicotine this is perfect.
For someone who wants a sneaky little vape – this will do the trick!
- Tiny stealthy lightweight little mod.
- Comfy mouthpiece.
- Looks great the USB stick styling really works!
- Surprisingly excellent vapour.
- Love the idea of the mouthpiece cover.
- Good clear liquid viewing window.
- Although the pod capacity isn’t huge at 1.8ml – this doesn’t need lots of refilling – not greedy with the E-liquid!
- Good airflow sensor – the firing is instant.
- No faults or problems at all
- Good battery life of 4.5 hours.
- Tricky to fill.
- Have to replace whole pod when coil is worn out.
- Only one pod included so if you accidentally fire it without liquid or damage it when installing you are stuck.
- The availability of the replacement pods – I haven’t found any for sale yet – hope that changes as I want another!
- The vape is extremely airy – a lot of MTL vapers will not find this restrictive enough.
- You do sacrifice flavour for vapour.