The Eleaf iKonn may be a new name in terms of product but the brand itself, Eleaf, by definition doesn’t really need any type of introduction to those of us that have been vaping for a while.
For those that are not familiar with the company; Eleaf were established in 2011 and quickly become one of the best known vaping brands in the world.
They have bought us a series of products like the iStick and iJust, they were also among the first manufactures to bring us temperature control with mods like TC60 and TC100.
Today we are going to take a look at one of Eleaf’s latest products for the more intermediate to experienced vaper!
Say ELLO to the iKonn 220, one of the best cloud chasing kits on the market. With up to 220W of power, a beautiful styled, dual 18650 battery mod and the cloud chucking ELLO Tank.
Prefer to watch my video review? Then keep on scrolling down just a little bit further!
In The Box
- 1 x Eleaf iKonn 220
- 1 x ELLO Tank
- 1 x Spare Mouthpiece
- 2 x HW atomizer heads
- 1 x QC USB cable
- Spare o-rings
- 2 x User manual
- Advise cards
- Tank capacity – 2ml
- Atomizer resistance – 0.2ohm HW3 / 0.3ohm HW4
- Output Wattage – 1-220W
- Output modes – VW / VT-Ni / VT-Ti / VT-SS / TCR
- Output temperature – 100-315°C / 200-600°F
- Resistance range: 0.05-1.5ohm (TC modes)
- 1-3.5ohm (VW mode)
- Dimensions – 44mm x 28mm x 126mm
- 3g (with ELLO 2ml type)
- Output wattage: 1-220W
- Maximum charging current: 2A
- Maximum output current: 50A
- Thread type: 510 thread
- Battery type: high-rate 18650 cells
- Continuous discharge current should be above 25A)
Design and Build Quality
The Eleaf iKonn 220 kit is very well presented in the box. The Ello 2ml tank is a top fill sub ohm stock tank that is made from Stainless Steel and Glass with a Delrin mouth piece, this comes pre installed with a 0.2 ohm kanthal coil head. The tank is extremely well made and looks beautiful.
The iKonn 220 mod is made from an aluminium alloy with black plastic highlights the design of the mod reminds one of the Smok Alien, but… it’s my belief that this is where the similarities end!
While the build quality and design are from my point of view excellent, Eleaf needs to reconsider the Oled screen. When using in bright daylight the screen is way too dark!
A quick guide to changing the coils and filling the Ello
*I recommend that you empty any E-Liquid in the Ello tank before changing coils.
How To Change The Coil
- Turn your Ello tank upside down and remove the base, (the coil will come away with the base)
- Remove the old coil and switch out for a new one!
- Please make sure you screw the new coil in firmly into the base!
- You will need to prime any new coil to avoid burning, do this by dripping liquid on to the cotton and in through the liquid intake slots on the side of the coil
- Then re-attach the base to the tank section
- Do not over tighten the base or you will crack the glass section!
How To Fill The Ello Tank
- To fill, turn the tank right side up and look for the word “Open” around the top of the tank
- With your thumb push the fill port open and with a needle nose bottle fill the tank with your favourite e-liquid
- close and leave the tank for a few minutes so the coil can soak up more e-liquid.
A quick look at the menu for the iKonn 220
- Press the fire button 5 times to turn the iKonn on and off.
- Using the adjustment button will change your wattage or temp control.
- Press the fire button 3 times to enter the wire/TC mode, use your adjustment button to select your mode and wire selection.
- Press both the plus and minus adjustment button at the same time will lock you key functions.
- Press the fire button and the minus button will turn on and off your stealth function.
- Press the fire button and the plus button will allow you to change between amps, puff count and seconds.
- Turn off the device and hold down the both adjustment buttons to flip the screen.
- Holding down the minus button and the fire button while the device is off will show you the battery volts.
- Holding down the plus button and the fire button while the device is off will allow you to change the TCR values.
- Starting while the device is off press the fire button 20 times in quick succession will show you what firmware you have installed.
Some of the warnings and protections
10 second toke count, atomizer low, atomizer short, no atomizer, low voltage, temp protection, temperature alert, weak battery alert, imbalance alert, charge error, check battery alert.
How does the Eleaf iKonn 220 Perform?
The Ello 2ml tank comes in 5 parts, 6 colours available that match the iKonn 220.
- 2ml glass
- Top cap/fill port
- Delrin mouth piece
The bottom of the base has the words Eleaf and Ello printed on it along with a CE mark and a non recyclable bin character, the 510 connection treads are Stainless Steel with an non adjustable gold plated Stainless Steel Pin, Eleaf at this time have 4 choices of HW coils available, the kit comes with two 0.2 and a 0.3 ohm kanthal coils they are 4 and 3 core coils respectively.
Mouth piece/Top cap/fill port/2ml glass
The mouth piece is made from delrin and fits into the top cap, the fill port is a top slide port activated by your thumb, and the glass is made from Pyrex * and is held on by an O ring.
*Tip if you can’t remove your Pyrex glass the first time you dismantle the tank run hot water over it for a few minutes, this will loosen the O ring slightly.
The iKonn 220 E-cigarette Kit in use
I have tested this mod not only with the Ello tank that comes supplied but also with a number of different RDA’s all of which work fantastically well in both power and Temp Control modes on this mod.
The Ello tank was tested using the HB3 kanthal coil starting at 30w with a mouth to lung style of vaping and Panda Lime Cola E-liquid. With the airflow cut to less than half the flavour was excellent for a MTL draw,
70W – 120W
Pumping up the wattage to 70w and then to 80w and finally to 120w with the airflow wide open for a Straight/Direct to lung draw. While the flavour dropped off somewhat after 70w the resulting vapour from the higher wattages was out of this world, very thick and dense.
The heat of the Ello is a slight coarse for concern, I found after chain vaping 5/6 pulls the tank gets extremely hot and stays that way for quite a while.
I find the iKonn 220 Kit ascetically pleasing to look at and very simple to use! The iKonn 220 comes in 6 different colours as you can see I have the green and black.
The fire button being the whole left side is a delight for me as I would imagine it will for other sufferers of arthritis.
Opposite side to the fire button at the bottom is eleaf’s logo and the word iKonn 220 very faintly placed.
The Eleaf iKonn 220 provides a maximum power of 220W and is powered by dual 18650 batteries; the battery door is very easy to use and has plenty of battery venting!
The device also has venting on either side (back and front). The 0.91-inch screen that offers a concise and clear interface with two separate battery bars.
However, as touched on before, using the menu system outside on a bright day is very nearly impossible as the screen is simply not bright enough.
You have the normal USB charge/update point on the front of the device as well as the adjustment buttons/bar.
The back of the device has a carbon fibre simulate sticker, the 510 connection point is stainless steel with a sprung loaded pin the device can handle any of the larger tanks or RDA’s/RDTA’s up to 28mm but looks really good with a 25mm topper on it.
See The iKonn And Ello Tank In Action With My Video Review
What I Like
Like almost 99% of Eleaf products the iKonn 220 is very comfortable in the hand, it looks really good, I would almost say beautiful with the Ello tank attached.
The device is simplistically easy to use and to understand with a battery life that will out last similar dual battery mods, did I also mention its comfortable to hold lol.
What I Didn’t Like
There are two things that drive me crazy about this device!
1. The screen in bright light – Quite simply it’s not bright enough to see the screen output, I’ve found myself setting and locking the device before I venture outside with it.
2. The Ello tank – OK its 2ml we have to live with that now here in the UK! In testing the tank I chain vape with it and after 5/6 good toots one after the other the tank becomes too hot to handle. This I understand is also the case for the 4ml version of the tank but neither are deal breakers to me!
Final Review Verdict
Dare I say the Eleaf iKonn 220 is one of the most beautiful mods on the market so far in 2017, some might disagree with me on that!
One thing I can say for sure about the ikonn 220 kit is it lives up to the comparison with the Alien and totally blows the Predator out of the water!
The iKonn 220 has entered my favourite daily rotation! Well done Eleaf now go away and fix the screen in the next version please! Lol
Would I buy the Eleaf iKonn mod again? And would I recommend it? Yes on both counts
- Great flavour
- Wonderful vapour production
- Handles TC very well
- Comfortable to hold
- Great battery life
- Ello tank is very easy to fill and change coils
- The Ello Tank is great for both MTL an STL vaping styles
- The HB coils live up to their stated wattage
- Beautiful looking device that blow similar device out of the water
- The brightness of the screen might be a downer for some
- The heat generated by the Ello tank while chain vaping might cause some concern