Today we are going to be taking a detailed look at the Wismec Predator 228 Kit which some have said is essentially a copy of the Smok Alien.
Manufactured by Wismec and designed by Sinuous, The Predator can reach up to 228W output power.
So what do we think about the Predator 228 Kit?
Could the Predator be really capable of destroying the Alien’s reputation? Or is the Predator going to be left a mangle chewed up mess left in the Alien’s wake?
Looks aside the Predator and the Alien are two entirely different beasts!
In The Box
- Wismce Predator 228 (no cells)
- Elabo Atomizer
- Triple 0.2ohm Head
- NS Triple 0.25ohm Head
- QC USB Cable
- User Manual (Predator 228 & Elabo)
- Warning Card
- Size: 52.8mm *25mm
- Capacity: 4.9ml (Triple 0.2ohm Head) 4.6ml (NS Triple 0.25ohm Head)
- Thread Type: 510 spring loaded thread
- Cell type: High-rate 18650 cell
- Output Mode: VW/TC-Ni/TC-Ti/TCSS/TCR Mode
- Output Wattage: 1-228W
- Resistance Range: 0.05-1.5ohm(TC mode); 0.1-3.5ohm(VW mode)
- Temperature Range: 100-315°C/200-600°F (TC modes)
- Maximum Charging Current: 2A
- Maximum Output Current: 50A
- Output Voltage Range: 0.5-9V
Design and Build Quality
When I first got hold of the Predator 228 Kit, I was impressed by look of the mod itself.
The Elabo tank that comes with the kit was another matter, my initial thought what an ugly plain looking tank, thoughts of the Reux Sub Ohm Tank started flashing through my mind!
However, personal thoughts aside for the moment, the Wismec Elabo tank is made from food grade stainless steel and Pyrex glass and topped with a SS covered Delrin driptip; the tank was clean and free from any type of machining oil.
The Wismec Predator 228 in my opinion is a work of art!
Made from a spray treated heavy aluminium you are able to fire the Predator from 1w up to 228w with high amp batteries.
The left side hidden fire button makes it a pleasure to fire. As someone who suffers from arthritis the device is very comfortable to hold in either hand or whatever way around you fire it.
The battery door is easy to operate and the addition of the newly designed Stainless Steel 510 makes this a great vape mod.
Basic Guide to Getting Started with the Wismec Predator 228 Kit
Predator 228 Mod
You will have to put your own batteries in the Predator! We suggest Sony vtc5 or better 18650 batteries.
- Open the battery door with the slide switch on the bottom of the mod and place your batteries following the correct orientation for polarity
- Attach a tank or rda to the 510 threads on the top of your mod
- Click the fire button 5 times fast to turn the device on, likewise to turn the mod off
- Use the adjustment buttons to set your wattage and vape away
If you want to use a different type of wire other than Kanthal or SS316
- Click the fire button 3 time fast, this will enter the power menu, shown by the flashing word Power (if in power mode)
- In this mode you can select your wire option and enter Temp control, hit left button once right button once then using the left button scroll through the wire Ni, Ti, SS.
- Use your fire button to confirm your choice
- To alter the TC or Wattage use your adjustment buttons
There are other functions available within the Predator’s menu, please refer to your manual that comes with the kit for details.
How To Fill The Wismec Elabo Tank
It’s advisable to empty the tank before changing coils or you may lose some liquid in the process.
- Turn the tank upside down and remove the Base
- Remove your spent coil
- Properly pre wick your new coil by dripping liquid onto the cotton through the top of the coil and through the liquid intake holes on the sides of the coil
- Place the new coil into position and screw the base back into position
- Slide the top cap fill port open and Fill the Elabo tank by placing your bottles needle nose or dripping Pipette into the fill port and fill with liquid
- Re slide the top cap back into position
- Leave the Elabo tank for at least 10 minutes so the cotton has chance to soak up more liquid
It is recommended that before you fire the Elabo you perform a dry pull, this is done by closing off the airflow completely and your taking 3 or 4 sharp pulls with your mouth (without firing).
You will now be able to fire the tank on your mod as normal
How Does The Wismec Predator Kit Perform?
The Elabo tank was tested using the NS Triple 0.25ohm coil head rated at 40 to 120w, a e-juice from Totally Wicked called “Mayflower” 80VG/20PG and part of their Expedition range.
Seated on the Predator and vaping it at 80w and 100w the resulting vapour was thick and creamy and very flavoursome.
What surprised me was the amount of time it took to empty the tank although chain vaping does make it rather warm but it soon cools down.
I’m impressed by the amount of vapour and full on flavour I’m able to get from the Elabo, this is no mouth to lung tank.
As well as testing the Predator 228 with the Elabo tank I also used a Kennedy 25mm RDA with SS316 alien coils.
The latter in power mode at 80, 100 and 115w. The vape at 115w was very hot, also tested on TC, 100w 450F. I didn’t experience any miss fires with the Predator in either mode I tested it in.
The Menu System is extremely easy to learn and for those that have had the E-Vic Mini or the Presa mod in the past will find the menu system very familiar.
See The Wismec Predator In Action With My Video Review
What I Like
I love the size and weight of the Wismec Predator. The fact that the firmware can be updated to keep the mod current.
The left side hidden fire trigger button is delightful and easy to operate. With 50 Amp combined battery power it is possible to fire the Predator at 228w, I tried it once with Sony VTC 5’s my cotton caught light lol, at 100w or under the battery life is excellent.
The Elabo tank did surprise me. While I personally think it’s a pretty ugly, plain tank, the performance I received was very good.
The 4.6ml of e-liquid lasted me much longer than I would have thought, vaping at 80w plus I didn’t experience any loss of flavour.
What I Didn’t Like
The only things I can say I don’t like about the Predator 228 is the paint job around the battery door. In my time testing this product the predator lived on my desk!
I would pick it up play with it and re-seat it down, it never left my office, however the paint on the base of the predator has taken 2 weeks to wear away.
The screen font is a little small for me and I find I have to use my reading glasses to view it.
They say that you are able to fully disassemble the Elabo tank. For me this wasn’t the case. To be frank I was worried that if I put the tank under too much pressure the pyrex tank would break.
Final Review Verdict
The Wismec Predator 228 Kit is perfect for those of us of advanced ages who suffer from arthritis and find it difficult to press a conventional button at times.
The Elabo tank while ugly and plain is the perfect complement to the kit. While I wouldn’t recommend the Predator kit to new vapers due to the sheer power that might never be used, I would recommend it to an intermediate vaper.
If I lost or had the Predator 228 kit stolen I most certainly would replace it.
- Battery life was excellent
- 228watts of power at 50 Amps
- Updated and redesigned 510 connection
- Very Good build quality.
- Whatever wire I used I had a great vaping experience
- Decent vaping experience with the Elabo tank with no loss of flavour at higher watts
- I have yet to find a way to take the Elabo tank fully apart
- The paint on the bottom of the Predator wears quickly
- The screen font is a wee bit on the small side