Introduction: CBD Life PurePen Kit Reviewed
The CBD Life PurePen kit is a starter kit for those interested in trying and using CBD e-liquid.
CBD is not illegal in the UK. For more details about vaping CBD read our handy Guide to CBD.
CBD Life as a company make many CBD products including oral oils and capsules. But for vaping you need specialised CBD E-liquid. You can buy the E-liquid on its own for use in your own vaping equipment however for people who don’t vape or who want something super simple the PurePen kit is pretty much charge up and go!
I have used CBD in the past myself as I have various pain conditions and I did find vaping CBD was my preference. I bought bottles of the e-liquid and used it in my own vape equipment.
This is the first time I have used a dedicated CBD kit and I was quite sceptical about the low power “old fashioned” equipment included in starter kits and the very high price tag attached to them.
The extracts used in the creation of the CBD Life cartridges are Hemp (Cannabis Sativa L.) and it is organically grown and has high levels of Terpenes and Phytocannabinoids.
Inside each PurePen cartridge is a porous ceramic core and 0.5ml of 40% CBD.
So will the CBD Life PurePen change my mind on these starter kits? Let’s get it going!
What’s In The Box
- CBD Life PurePen Battery
- CBD Life PurePen Cartridge
- Hard carry case
- USB charger
I also received an extra cartridge so I could sample both flavour/cartridge types.
- Pen designed especially for CBD Extracts
- 0.5ml Cartridge
- Porous Ceramic Atomiser
- 350mAh Battery
- Can be charged over 300 times.
- Pen features include: Standby mode, LED indicator, Healthy 5 second power-off function, Low-voltage alarm system and Easy charging process.
- Choice of cartridge flavours and strengths.
- Cartridge is single use – cannot be refilled.
- Standard 510 battery connector
Build Quality & Design
The kit comes supplied in a lovely hard case and everything fits lovely in here.
The case protects the product in use and shipping.
The design is pretty basic – like the old Cig-A-like e-cigs with a screw on cartridge and a ceramic mouthpiece – which I clobbered myself in the teeth with several times.
The battery part is black with a green light up LED tip and has the CBD Life branding on.
Build quality is superb everything fits, screws together properly and it feels like it is very well made.
The instructions are basically a sticker inside the case – but to be fair they do tell you all you need to know!
Not much to report here really!
How Does the CBD Life PurePen Perform?
This is so simple to operate – but here is a guide to getting started.
- Install the cartridge and charge battery as described below.
- There is a green light on the end of the battery – this will light up green when you inhale. If it flashes green then it is time to charge the battery.
- Inhale on the mouthpiece slowly and hold the vapour in your lungs as long as possible. This ensures maximum absorption. You might feel as though you haven’t inhaled anything as it is a very cool vapour – but you will notice the taste when you exhale I promise!
- You only need 2-3 inhales then sit back and feel any effects.
How To Charge The Battery
- Unscrew the cartridge from the battery.
- Screw the battery onto the USB adaptor.
- Install the USB adaptor into a suitable USB outlet.
- The light on the USB adaptor will stay red – this will go out when the battery is fully charged.
How To Change The Cartridge
- Remove the cartridge from the packaging/case and remove the protective covers on the mouthpiece and base of the cartridge.
- If a cartridge is already installed this is simply removed by unscrewing from the battery.
- Screw the cartridge on to the battery.
Flavour & Cloud Production
This is a pretty low power device so you won’t get clouds of vapour. Plus the whole point of the CBD dosage in this way is to try and hold the vapour in as long as you can – so again not much vapour will be exhaled.
You almost feel as you are not getting any vapour when you inhale – it is very cool and mild – it’s only on the exhale you get the taste and the vapour which is left.
It is recommended to take 2-3 vapes on this, hold the vapour in as long as possible for the maximum absorption and exhale the rest.
I had 2 cartridges supplied for review both classed as having 40% full spectrum 200mg CBD strength.
- Grand Daddy Purple – Night
- Pineapple Express – Day
Grand Daddy Purple Cartridge – Night
CBD Life say :
“can make you feel: relaxed, tired, hungry, a fusion of euphoria and physical relaxation.”
This is the first cartridge I tried and found it to be quite pleasant. There is still a slight hot-lawnmower taste – which is the “Terpene” flavour which I am not a huge fan of. But it is only mild and apparent on the exhale.
I didn’t get much of the promised “Parma Violet” based taste but it is there on the exhale.
This is not horrible but there is a strange taste.
I did find I slept like a log on the nights I used this before bed- possible co-incidence but that was noticeable.
Pineapple Express Cartridge – Day
CBD Life say :
“can make you feel: uplifted, euphoric, energetic but also with a relaxed sensation.”
From the first vape on this the experience is very similar to the Grand Daddy Purple cartridge. Super cool vape – almost like you have not inhaled!
You do however have a strong taste on the exhale. Again this is not at all horrible – I have tasted a lot worse CBD vapes! I didn’t get any pineapple though!
As for any benefits I can’t say I felt like suddenly bursting into life.
This is a very odd device. You only use it 2-3 times and then stop. So my usual “hours of battery life” is not really applicable.
If I show you the amount left in the cartridge – approximately 1/4 left – I only charged the device twice in order to use approximately 0.35ml – so I hope that helps.
- Such a simple easy to use kit
- Lovely hard case
- Very mild taste
- Economical use of battery and liquid
- Ceramic drip tip isn’t tooth friendly
- Expensive kit and cartridges
Final Review Verdict
I am in no position to comment on whether CBD has medicinal benefits or not.
I have used CBD in the past as I have multiple conditions which cause me daily pain. For me the Oral CBD (paste and oils) worked well but I got quite anxious with it. I found vaping CBD E-liquid worked really well for me but I struggle sometimes if there is a very strong “terpene” taste.
So for me the CBD Life pen was great – there is a definite taste but it is mild and only on the exhale.
The kit is pretty basic and it is similar to the original e-cig cigalike devices so no real innovation or sophistication. But it works and delivers the CBD in an easy way.
The cartridge has a ceramic drip tip which I bashed against my teeth several times and was not nice but other than that there are no issues with the performance at all.
The cartridge and battery life are really economical. You do only have 3-4 vapes on this at a time – I found for 3/4 of a cartridge I only charged the battery twice. I would say roughly I got about 25 “sessions of 3” vapes on this amount.
The kit price is pretty expensive but then you see the price of the replacement cartridges on their own and you do see that the liquid is the most expensive part.
I know it probably isn’t recommended but the battery does have the standard 510 connector and you can buy empty low power CBD pen cartridges and use your own e-liquid – so this might be a more economical way to use the device continually.