Introduction: The X-Priv Baby Kit from Smok
The Smok X-Priv Baby kit is as like most of Smok‘s recent products a smaller version of an existing kit.
So this is the “Baby” version of the Smok X-Priv kit which I recently reviewed and really loved.
What is different about the “Baby” version then…
For a start the Baby version is smaller, this has an internal battery which has a 2300mAh capacity – the big X-Priv uses two removable batteries. This can output only 80W in comparison to the larger version outputting 225W.
Otherwise the mod is very similar – you still get the huge 2 inch colour screen which I absolutely love and the menu and user interface is again the same as the big version.
The kit also includes the TFV12 Prince Big Baby tank in the same colour as the mod.
There are 7 colours to choose from – Matte Black, Prism Gold, Prism Blue, Prism Chrome, Prism Gun Metal, Auto Pink and Prism Rainbow.
I will admit to not being a Smok fan apart from the excellent X-Priv mod – which blew me away. However I haven’t liked the flavour from a single Smok tank – they seem to be focused on vapour volume rather than taste. Can this combo change my mind? Will Smok surprise me again? So many questions! Let me answer them!
What’s In The Box
- Smok X-Priv Baby mod
- TFV12 Big Baby Prince tank
- V8 Baby-Q2 coil (0.4ohm dual coil) x2
- Bubble glass (Standard version only)
- USB cable
- User manual
- Spare parts
Smok X-Priv Baby Mod Features
- Size: 68x47x29mm
- Power: 1-80W
- Battery: Internal 2300mAh
- Display: 2.0in HD colour screen
- Output voltage: 0.5-9V
- Resistance Range: 0.1 to 2.5 ohm (VW) / 0.05-2ohm (TC)
- Temperature Control Output 200-600° F /100℃-315℃
- Firmware Upgradeable
- 6-colour modes display
- Weight: 188g
Smok TFV12 Big Baby Prince Specs
- Size: 28x55mm (Standard version) / 24.5×55 (EU version)
- Capacity: 6ml (Standard version) / 2ml (EU version)
- Top fill
- Bottom adjustable airflow
- Stainless steel body
- 510 thread
Build Quality & Design
This is in fact beautiful. You get the huge screen and design features I bloody loved on the big version. But they look cuter!
The packaging was excellent and there were protective films on the front and back of the mod so it arrived in pristine condition.
I was sent the Prism Blue kit with the standard 6ml TFV12 Big Baby Prince tank in a matching blue to the mod.
This is super shiny and even better looking in real life.
The rear of the mod has the same black and glitter honeycomb pattern as the large X-Priv and it catches the light beautifully.
The metal parts of the mod and tank all match in a mirror dark blue colour.
On top of the TFV12 Big Baby Prince tank is a matching Cobra Drip tip with glitter accents too. Even the tank is pretty!
On the right side of the mod is a long fire button – almost a fire bar but it doesn’t take up the whole side of the mod like the bigger version.
The screen takes up the whole front of the mod and is as clear and bright as a summer morning. There are two very small adjustment buttons on the base of the screen.
The 510 connector on the top of the mod is on the left side – not centred.
A battery vent and USB charging port are on the base of the mod. I’m not looking forward to tipping this over to charge – after the leaking issues our Dean experienced using the Smok Mag Baby kit with the Baby version of this tank….
As predicted the tank does leak a bit when turned on its side for charging, so close the airflow slots and put a tissue under the tank. However that is the only time the tank leaked – which again is a shock.
How Does the Smok X-Priv Baby Kit Perform?
The menu and user interface is exactly the same as a lot of the Smok mods use now. I am not a fan to be honest as it takes a bit of getting used to.
- To turn on – press the fire button quickly 5 times.
- To turn off – either enter the menu system to the last page and select the off icon or press the fire button 5 times – this will show “Locked” then hold down the fire button until the mod switches off.
- When the mod is switched on 5 fire button presses will lock or unlock the keys.
- 3 clicks of the fire button to enter the menu.
- The function will be highlighted. To change the value use the adjustment buttons.
- Move to the next function hold down the fire button.
- Move to the next screen do a short press of the fire button.
Whilst in the menu system there are several screens…
- The first screen regards the power mode, preheats and setting.
- The second screen is for the puff counter to reset.
- The third screen is the display settings for the colour theme, timeout and lock setting.
- The fourth screen is the power off screen.
How To Charge The Smok X-Priv Baby
- Using the included USB cable plug the small end into the port on the base of the mod.
- Plug the larger end into a suitable USB outlet.
- The charging progress is shown on the screen.
The included USB charging cable – looks like any other Micro USB cable. However it is not…
The charging socket is quite deeply set into the body of the mod and other cables have connections which are not quite long enough to make full contact in the socket. See my photo if you don’t get me – the Smok X-Priv Baby cable is the black one on the left.
Not a massive deal however if you are used to just using a USB cable you already have in your car or in another socket in the house you won’t be able to use that with this mod.
I found on my PC (which might not be outputting much more than 0.5A) it took 3.5 hours to charge from empty. Phew it takes a while!
Smok TFV12 Big Baby Prince Tank
Well as I always say I hate the Smok naming conventions.
The TFV12 tank range has so many variants all using different coil heads…
Then on top of that some tanks have a Standard version and TPD Compliant EU version – which again use different coils.
So good luck in knowing which coils to buy for your tank…
In this kit the TFV12 Big Baby prince uses the V8 Baby range of coils – even more to remember. Luckily there is only one version of the EU and Standard and that is the 0.4ohm.
How To Fill The Smok TFV12 Big Baby Prince Tank
- This has a child lock button.
- Press the button whilst pushing the top cap in the direction of the arrow.
- Add e-liquid through the filling slot whilst watching the level in the tank window.
- Slide the cap back into position – it should “click”. If it doesn’t press it down slightly whilst pushing.
How To Change The Coil Head
- Turn the tank upside down.
- Unscrew the base of the tank.
- If there is a coil installed unscrew this from the base of the tank.
- Screw the new coil into the tank base.
- Add a few drops of e-liquid to the bits of cotton you can see.
- Replace the tank base onto the tank.
- Fill the tank as described above and leave to stand for 10 minutes to allow the new coil head to soak up the e-liquid.
- Check the liquid level and refill if required before vaping as the new coil can soak up almost a tankfull of liquid – especially on the 2ml tank!
Flavour & Cloud Production
We have the 0.4ohm dual coil TFV8 Baby Q2 coil head installed- you get 2 of these in the kit. Recommended 40-80W and best at 55-65W.
I used an 80% VG E-liquid – Stika Bombz Fruit Salad which has 6mg Nicotine and is my usual all day e-liquid. If you are not sure what VG means read our guide to PG and VG in E-liquid.
So I started off at 50W with the airflow half open. Ok it works but there is a very “cottony” taste. Quite a good amount of vapour though.
At 55W more of the same really, at 60W some flavour starting to come through. At 65W this is a lot better but still that predominant cotton taste. I have left this tank for about 30 mins to prime and had to refill it as the coil soaked up most of the e-liquid I first put in the tank.
I might be asking for trouble but hey I went up to 70W, 75W and 80W to see if I could get a bit of flavour out of this. The maximum output of the mod is 80W. There is more flavour it has to be said.
The airflow can be fully closed off to nothing. Fully open the airflow is pretty much as open as breathing – no resistance at all. The vapour production in the fully open setting is huge.
After the coil had a few tank fulls of e-liquid through it the flavour had improved a lot. I could run this tank on the X-Priv Baby mod at 65-70W and got good performance.
So far we have 7 days of use on this coil (reading 1153 puffs on the counter – I did do a few on this tank on another mod so it’s higher than that) – which must be a record and it still tastes and performs well!
In the past I have had a similar experience to most Smok users – crap coil life – the Smok Stick AIO managed 2 days – so this has been a total shock!
Smok X-Priv Baby Mod Performance
The main issue is having to run the included tank at 65-70W. This near the top limit of the mod’s output.
I would say the mod is slightly underpowered, I felt like the tank performed the same on another mod at 10W lower. So the X-Priv Baby is slightly underpowered.
Using this with the Vaporesso NRG tank with CCELL coil – I usually run at 30W on the Revenger Mini mod – the X-Priv Baby had to be set to 37W to get the same performance.
The mod itself apart from the annoying menu system and power issue has been perfect. Worked every time I picked it up and is beautiful.
Using this mod at 67W as expected the battery life wasn’t great. I got 3.5 hours of reasonably heavy vaping.
Just as a trial I put the NRG tank with CCELL coil on here from the Vaporesso Revenger Mini kit. Running at 37W I got around 7 hours of vaping.
- Beautiful looking kit – mod and tank are stunning
- Small and lovely to hold
- Well packaged
- Huge vapour production
- Once the coils have “broken in” the flavour and vapour were surprisingly good!
- Robust kit – I have been using this for 2 weeks, its been rattling around in handbag and dropped and still looks pristine.
- Mod is underpowered for the tank supplied – the tank needs around 65-70W to perform
- Confusing tank naming conventions – TFV12 Big Baby Prince and uses V8 Baby coils…
- The coil heads took several tank fulls of e-liquid to get a good flavour.
- USB port on the bottom of the mod – makes the tank leak.
- Can only use supplied USB cable
- Takes 3.5 hours roughly to charge
- Mod seems to be slightly underpowered
Final Review Verdict
The supplied coils took a few tank fulls to kick in – after about 3 tank fulls the flavour was wonderful – way surpassing the previous Smok tanks I have used. In fact way better than the full size TFV12 Prince I used.
This tank would be perfect on a bigger capacity mod – the large X-Priv for example.
Don’t get me wrong this is a lovely kit but the tank needs a more powerful mod to make this more practical.
Personally I would choose a tank which runs at say 40W to put on this mod – this mod and the CCELL coil in the Vaporesso NRG tank was a perfect match. I would use the TFV12 Big Baby Prince on a more powerful mod.
I have been using the mod for over 2 weeks, with the supplied tank and the Vaporesso tank and it is still pristine apart from fingerprints! It has been rattling about in my car, handbag, been dropped multiple times and had e-liquid spills and still perfect. Well done Smok!
Like many of you reading this I was very sceptical about this kit and Smok in general – so I understand you might think I am painting a very rosy picture here! However this little kit has been for me a real cracker. I gave it to a few people at Vape Collective to try and everyone liked the mod and a few were surprised with the tank.
I wish Smok would slow down – stop chucking out 30 kits a week and just concentrate on what they are good at. The X-Priv and X-Priv Baby are what they do well.