Stoptober is back for its 8th year and despite the global vaping bans and anti-vape campaigns, the use of e-cigarettes as an aid to quitting smoking is once again front and centre.
For those who don’t know, Stoptober is the yearly UK stop smoking campaign and is organised by Public Health England – the organisation that famously coined the “vaping is 95% safer than smoking” phrase.
The campaign runs for 28 days during October as experts say if you can quit the lit cigs for that long you’re 5 times more likely to stub out the killer habit for good.
Smoking is still the UK’s biggest killer with over 78,000 deaths reported each year.
Since its inception Stoptober has driven over 1 million successful quit attempts and over recent years has embraced vaping as a viable and 95% + safer alternative to smoking.
As to using e-cigs as a quit tool – Stoptober says:
E-cigarette use has increased in recent years and they have become the most popular stop smoking aid in England.
More than half of current users have managed to stop smoking completely and it is estimated that e-cigarettes have contributed at least 18,000 additional ex-smokers a year in England and potentially many thousands more.
There you have it, regulate e-cigarettes and smoking numbers fall…it’s really that simple!
E-Cigarettes DO Help People Quit Smoking
PHE has continued its support of vaping and say:
Leading UK health and public health organisations including the RCGP, BMA and Cancer Research UK now agree that although not risk free, e-cigarettes are far less harmful than smoking.
Based on an assessment of the available international peer-reviewed evidence, Public Health England and the Royal College of Physicians estimate the risk reduction to be at least 95%.
In 2018 so far three major US reports (National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine, American Cancer Society and the US Annual Review of Public Health) have found that e-cigarettes are substantially less harmful than smoking.
There is growing evidence that e-cigarettes can help people stop smoking.
They are particularly effective as a quit aid when combined with expert help from local stop smoking services. In 2017-18, two thirds of smokers
who got this support stopped smoking successfully.
Like I said how lucky are we here in the UK to have this kind of support for vaping.
There’s also advice for health care professionals who may [wrongly] be persuaded by the media that e-cigarettes are ‘bad’:
- although these products are not licensed medicines, they are regulated by the Tobacco and Related Products Regulations 2016
- many people have found them helpful to quit smoking cigarettes
- people using e-cigarettes should stop smoking tobacco completely, because any smoking is harmful
- the evidence suggests that e-cigarettes are substantially less harmful to health than smoking but are not risk free
- the evidence in this area is still developing, including evidence on the long-term health impact.
If you’re a smoker or a dual user and ready to quit completely – good luck and let us know in the comments below how your journey is going.
Check out the Stoptober website for more information.
We Have Stoptober Vape Deals, The Best Guides and Kits For New Vapers
If you or your family and friends are looking to quit this Stoptober then you’re in the right place.
EcigClick has been around since 2010 and all our reviewers began exactly where you are now – wondering which kit – what’s vaping all about and of course is it safe!
Forget most of what you’ve seen in the media and especially what’s happening over in America.
Vaping here in the UK is not only safe – it’s 95% safer than smoking and the very best way to quit the cancer sticks.
That’s not us saying it to sell you something – it’s backed up by among others:
And that’s just a small sample!
OK here’s a couple of guides ideal for new vapers and please contact us either via the comments below or the CONTACT PAGE – someone is always around to answer your questions – no matter how daft you might think they are – trust me we were all ‘that smoker’ once 😉
- Vape Deals
- Vape Kits That are Good For Beginners
- Best Pod Kits– Are The Easiest Way To Start Vaping Here’s the Best Out There
- Best UK Vape Juice Brands
- Best Vape Stores Online
- Do You Suffer From Any Of These Vaping Side Effects?
- 11 Anti Vaping Arguments | How To Win With The Facts
- A Beginners Guide To Cleaning Vape Coils And Tanks: 6 Easy Steps!
- 7 Reasons Why Your Vape May Taste Burnt And How To Fix It!
- Mouth To Lung (MTL) VS Direct To Lung (DTL) Vaping: What’s The Difference?
And that’s just a tiny sample!
OK good luck quitting – it’s not easy but with support and e-cigarettes you can do this – we did 🙂