I have reviewed a lot of Yosta products in the past and found their mods in particular such as the Livepor 230 to be way better than their tiny price would suggest!
The Ypod mini is a much smaller version of their recent Ypod device which I loved.
This is barely bigger than a ciggie and to be honest you look at it and don’t expect much performance! Will this little device surprise me?
Anyway spec wise – the specs really are down to the size so you only get a tiny 310mAh battery and a 1ml capacity pod. However when you consider devices such as the Suorin Drop only has a 300mAh battery yet is way bigger than the Ypod Mini!
The pods come with coils already installed and you discard the pod when the coil needs changing. You can choose from a 1.3ohm pod – mainly for high nicotine or nic salt e-liquid or the 1.5ohm pod which Yosta say is best for CBD E-liquid. Both pods have ceramic coil heating elements.
There are 5 colours available – Stainless Steel, Black, Gunmetal, Blue and Rainbow.
As always I will report back honestly on my findings on the device I have – thank you to Yosta for sending this for review.
What’s In The Box
- Yosta Ypod Mini device
- Pod – 1.3ohm ceramic version
- E-liquid bottle
- Spare pod plugs
- USB cable
- Size: 86x8x14mm
- E-liquid Capacity: 1ml
- Battery: 310mAh (internal)
- Material : Stainless steel
- Resistance: 1.5ohm (Ceramic – for CBD) or 1.3ohm (Ceramic for Nic Salt)
- Battery level indicator
Build Quality & Design
I received the Yosta Ypod Mini Kit in the Stainless Steel colour.
It is well packaged and pretty decent instructions. You do get some spare refill port plugs and an e-liquid bottle… more about that later on!
This has a brushed silver finish and is very pretty to be honest.
It is tiny – when you see the size comparison to a standard ball pen you can see how thin this device really is.
It has an elongated oval shape and the front of the device has the Ypod Mini logo which seems to be etched into the metal and an LED indicator light.
The rear of the device has the Yosta logo and required legal logos.
On the base is the USB charge port which worked perfectly.
The pod has a diamond shape design when it fits into the battery and the cut outs on the battery fit this perfectly. I have no wobbles from the pod and it clicks in firmly when installed. It can be a bit hard to grip to remove the pod though at times.
The pod is tiny, however it has a lovely mouthpiece which seems to fit effortlessly in your mouth.
Also although tinted the e-liquid level is really easy to see.
This has the tiniest fill port I have ever seen. Pretty obvious really when you see the size of the device and pod I suppose.
Anyway in order to try and stop people complaining Yosta have included a small refill bottle with an almost needle sized nozzle.
I didn’t use the bottle as I use 10ml Nic salt e-liquid – decanting that first into the little bottle and then refilling the pod was a bit annoying to be honest.
So I used the nozzle already installed on my 10ml bottle – but do be warned this is neither easy and some bottles still might not fit.
To get started you will need to fill and charge the device – we tell you how below!
- To vape = simply inhale – this has an automatic sensor
- Battery capacity remaining = 10 flashes when battery voltage below 3.3V.
- Fire cut off = 5 seconds and 2 flashes of the LED before the fire cuts off (I found mine was nearer 7 seconds?).
- Low voltage = 10 flashes of the LED and device shuts down
How To Fill With E-liquid
- Pull the pod out of the device.
- Turn the pod over and remove the tiny rubber plug from the fill port. Keep this very safe as it is not attached and easy to loose.
- Using a small nozzle bottle squeeze e-liquid into the filling port. You can see the liquid level through the side of the pod.
- Replace the fill port plug and make sure it is pressed in fully. It will still stand a bit proud of the base.
- Install the pod back into the battery and leave to stand for 5-10 mins before vaping.
How To Change The Pod
- The pod simply pulls out of the device – grip firmly and pull.
- Prepare a new pod by filling with e-liquid.
- Push the pod into the battery component. It doesn’t matter which way around you install this as it will work either way.
- You will hear a click when the pod is correctly installed.
- If this is a new pod once filled leave to stand for 5-10 mins for the e-liquid to be fully absorbed before vaping or you could damage the pod.
How To Charge The Battery
- Using the included USB cable install the small end into the USB port on the device.
- Install the large USB connector into a suitable USB outlet.
- The LED will go out when the device is fully charged.
How Does the Yosta Ypod Mini Kit Perform?
This is a super simple device to vape on – when all set up you just inhale and vape!
There is no fire button or adjustments to contend with at all.
I used a 50/50 VG/PG E-liquid – Yosta do not state the best VG/PG proportions to use sadly. We tell you all about the terms VG and PG in our Guide to E-liquid.
Also this device is best for higher nicotine or nic salt e-liquid. So my liquid of choice was the Apollo Nic Salt Tobacco flavour with 20mg of Nicotine strength.
Now when you look at this device you would be forgiven for not really expecting much from it performance wise.
I was right about some things – the flavour and throat hit isn’t really there to be honest. Oh and it is noisy when you inhale – like a whistle sound and you cannot adjust the airflow at all.
However when you exhale you are then very shocked with the plume of vapour you are exhaling! Where did that come from!
Sadly also I kept getting dry hits – if I inhaled too long or too frequently. It would appear that this pod is struggling to keep up with wicking. I only used 50/50 e-liquid too so it shouldn’t be struggling.
The kit only includes a 1.3ohm Ceramic pod so I couldn’t even try another pod to see if I got the same problem.
I am unable to report back on this as using this frequently is giving me so many dry hits I am struggling to use it. I am picking up other devices instead.
- Tiny and super light
- Easy to see e-liquid level
- Great quality and no wobbles
- Surprising amount of vapour!
- Battery capacity is decent when you see the size of this!
- E-liquid consumption is very economical
- Pod filling is fiddly
- Noisy operation
- Have to replace whole pod – can’t just change the coils
- Not much flavour or throat hit
- So many dry hits with long inhales or frequent vapes.
- No battery indicator – only flashes when the device is about to shut down from low voltage.
- Only 1 pod included in kit
- Might not be able to buy replacement pods easily – I am struggling to get hold of the Cotton Pods for the Original Ypod sadly.
Final Review Verdict
So what do I think? Sorry Yosta this is a dud.
This doesn’t have the flavour or throat hit the Original Ypod device gave me.
However this is tiny, light and the vapour you exhale will take you by surprise. But I am getting loads of dry hits despite only using 50/50 e-liquid – in my opinion the pod is struggling to even wick thin e-liquid? Also only having 1 pod in the kit means I am unable to check if I just had a rogue pod?
Even without dry hits I am trying to think of places where I would choose this device above things like the Ypod or the Smok Nord and to be honest I would leave this at home and take those instead.