Is The Freemax Star Pro An Improvement On The Original?
The Freemax Starre has for a long time been one of my favourite tanks and even when the Sense Herakles arrived I still found plenty of reasons to use the Starre.
UPDATE: The Latest Freemax Mesh Pro has recentlt been released and it’s a game changer. Check out our hands on review here.
The Freemax Starre Pro is an improvement on the original in every way. Including both 0.25ohm and 0.15ohm Ni200 dual vertical coils Freemax Tech Co are offering the Starre Pro as a tank designed for use with temperature control mods. In addition for those of you who would still prefer to use Kanthal coils the original 0.25ohm and 0.5ohm coils are compatible with the Starre Pro but are not included with the package.
Featuring the excellent and somewhat improved airflow of the original Starre Tank the Starre Pro now has drip tip airflow included. The Starre Pro has also been slimmed down a little and features a 4ml juice capacity as well as being a new top filling design. Lets get on with the review.
Freemax Starre Pro specifications
- Supports 0.15ohm Ni200 Dual Vertical Coil.
- Supports 0.25ohm Ni200 Bottom Vertical Coil.
- Japanese Cotton Wicks used in the coil.
- Supports 0.25ohm and 0.5ohm dual vertical coils found in the original Freemax Starre.
- Ni200 Coils Temperature Range: 200-600F.
- Wattage Range 0.25ohm Ni200 coil: 20-80W.
- Wattage Range 0.15ohm Ni200 coil: 20-100W.
- 304 grade stainless steel construction.
- Top filling.
- Wide bore AFC drip tip.
- Huge bottom dual airflow slots.
- 510 threading.
- 4ml capacity.
- 22mm diameter.
What’s in the Box?
- 1x Freemax Starre Pro tank
- 1x Wide Bore Drip Tip with airflow control
- 1x 0.25ohm Ni200 Bottom Vertical Coil (pre-installed)
- 1x 0.15ohm Ni200 Dual Vertical Coil
- 1x Instruction Manual
- The Freemax Starre Pro does not include a replacement glass tube unlike the Freemax Starre.
- The good news is that if you own a Freemax Starre the glass fits the Pro too.
Freemax Starre Pro styling and build quality
This is a very sleek looking tank but it is actually slightly shorter than the original Freemax Starre. The tank is 22mm diameter and 510 threaded so will suit most devices. The airflow control ring is almost identical to the original beyond a few minor aesthetic changes and features dual large cyclops style airflow slots.
The overall machining is excellent and it feels extremely well put together.
The drip tip is of a wide bore design and fits well, it also features air holes that line up with the top cap of the tank and allow for extra adjustable airflow should you need it. Of course this means that you do need to use the included drip tip if you wish to make use of that feature.
Tank capacity is 4ml which is a reduction of 1ml from the original 5ml capacity of the Freemax Starre. The glass feels thick and durable and seems to be exactly the same as the type used in the Freemax Starre.
Just looking at the tank you can see it has had a degree of restyling applied but in my opinion it looks better and more elegant than its predecessor.
Unlike the Freemax Starre, the Pro uses a top filling design. In order to refill the tank you need to unscrew the top cap. Please note that the top cap is switched to the “OFF” position before vaping or it will leak heavily on you.
I could never fault the airflow on the Freemax Starre so you would expect the Pro to have the same excellent airflow. I am happy to report that it does but in the Starre Pro’s case the airflow is a little larger and the draw seems better.
Much like the Starre, the Pro airflow control ring is very easy to use and works extremely well. Simply turn the ring and each airflow setting clicks into place. The airflow ring is neither too loose nor too tight and it feels very smooth to use.
In addition the top cap features air holes that can be opened up or closed down by turning the drip tip that is included. While this feature is useful when running at high wattage to help with cooling I did find that having them open resulted in a loss of flavour so I prefer to keep them closed.
This tank is designed with lung hitters in mind so if you prefer a mouth to lung vape then this isn’t for you. Even at its most closed down the airflow does cater for a direct lung inhale.
How Does the Freemax Starre Pro vape?
The Freemax Starre Pro offers a fantastic vape when used on a temperature control device. I have found that 40J/W at 240-260°C is perfect for me.
So many of my e-liquids taste far better in this tank compared to others I have used especially when using juices such as Manabush Powwow Sauce since in my other Sub Ohm tanks I tend to get just an overall flavour but in the Freemax Starre Pro I can pick out individual ingredients or flavour layers.
The first day I tried this tank I got through a lot of juice because it’s quite a juice guzzler. It could get very expensive to keep buying juice to put in it if you are something of a chain vaper. In my mind it is such a good vape it is well worth indulging a little on occasion.
The vapour production is excellent and you don’t even have to have the airflow fully opened up to create good clouds. I like it closed down a lot because the flavour is so exceptional that I prefer to enjoy it and not have it muted by tons of airflow.
However even fully opened up the Freemax Starre Pro is still quite flavoursome.
The original used to result in a cooler vape even at high wattage so the Pro is quite different because it offers a very warm vape and is designed for use with temperature control devices.
There isn’t a huge difference between the 0.25ohm and the 0.15ohm Ni220 coils. Although in my opinion the 0.15 does give ever so slightly better flavour and a little more vapour production when running at 50W and above.
The Ni200 coils wick extremely well and this means that you can use high VG juices in the Freemax Starre Pro without running into any problems.
Coil lifespan seems to be really good and my first coil lasted just over two weeks. I can’t say I’ve noticed any real difference between the longevity of the 0.25ohm and 0.15ohm coils.
Is It Worth It?
Without a doubt this offers an exceptional vape and if you are after one of the best temperature control tanks on the market then the Starre Pro will suit you very well.
One little gripe is that the overall package does not include spare glass. However if by any chance you have the Freemax Starre which does come with a spare glass tube it can be used as a replacement for the Starre Pro and fits perfectly.
The Pro does everything I want in a Sub-Ohm tank. Freemax have taken the design I loved and made it better! The only downside for some is that this tank goes through juice much faster than others but the exceptional flavour makes it worth it.
The somewhat strange way you have to switch the top drip tip mounting to the “off” position again after filling does take getting used to. Also I advise you never have the drip tip air holes open since it causes quite a big loss of flavour.
This tank puts out some truly monstrous clouds on its most wide open airflow setting. The Freemax Starre Pro is a superb tank and does everything better than its predecessor.
- Exceptional Flavour.
- Comes with Nickel (Ni200) coils as part of the package.
- Can be fitted with standard Kanthal coils.
- Easy to use with a top filling design.
- Massive adjustable airflow. Creates monstrous clouds.
- Excellent life for the Ni200 coils. Typically about two weeks.
- Well machined.
- Easy to fill. Just remember to turn the top to the “off” position afterwards.
The Not So Good
- If you don’t remember to turn the top of the tank to the “Off” position you can end up with juice in your lap.
- Juice drains fast. A real juice guzzler but nowhere near as bad as the SMOK TFV4 or the Sense Cyclone.
- Doesn’t come with replacement glass. Although the Freemax Starre glass is the exact same size and fits it.
- Temperature control coils included require the tank to be used on a temperature control device.
- No Rebuildable (RBA) Deck. At this point I kind of expected Freemax to make an RBA
- Deck since they have been mentioning it ever since the original Starre Tank arrived but to this day it still hasn’t happened.
- Flavour does drop off heavily if you have the drip tip air holes open.