Today we are reviewing the Uwell Caliburn GK3!
This is the successor to the Uwell Caliburn GK2, released in 2022 and it was very popular!
For those who may not have heard of them before, Uwell are a huge name within the industry, with a vast range of products sold across the globe. The Caliburn range of pod kits have become internationally recognised best sellers over time!
Since they were founded in 2015, alongside the Caliburn range, they have scored some huge hits with award-winning products such as the Uwell Crown tanks, Nunchaku, Valyrian and the incredibly named Ironfist!
These products have helped make Uwell a well-respected household name in the vaping industry.
The name Uwell originates from ‘I wish you well’ and they are based out of China. Uwell prioritise innovation and user experience, with their products manufactured to the highest possible standards with strict quality control systems in place.
What Can We Expect From The Uwell Caliburn GK3?
So, the Caliburn range features bar style and square style pod mods and the Caliburn GK3 is Uwell’s latest square styled pod mod.
Compared to its predecessor, the GK2 – you now have variable wattage with the GK3 and can adjust the power output of your vape from 5-25 Watts in 1 Watt increments.
A large, segmented digital LCD screen can also be found on the GK3. Uwell claim this uses a minimal amount of battery power and the screen can be left on for up to two years if the device is not being used!
Rather than the replaceable coil system that was found with the G2 pods, the pods on the GK3 have an integrated FeCrAl mesh coil.
The design of the pod incorporates ultrasonic welding with a U-shaped channel mechanism to eliminate leakage as much as possible.
There are 3 resistance options to choose from – 0.6ohm and 0.9ohm (included in kit) plus a 1.2ohm which is apparently on the way.
Depending on the capacity there are 2 different fill methods. The 2.5ml standard capacity pods have side fill ports and the 2ml (for TPD regulated areas) pods have a top fill port.
A dual airflow system at the base of the pods allows you to switch between two different airflow options. Either you can have an airier or tighter draw to suit your preferred vaping style, as Mouth-To-Lung (MTL) and Restricted Direct Lung (RDL) hits are available. We tell you what the terms MTL and RDL mean in our Guide To Vape Styles.
Other features include an integrated 900mAh battery that is recharged via a USB-C cable and a wide ClearView window to view your e-liquid in the pod.
There are 4 colours to choose from: Black, Silver, Red and Blue.
Thank you to Vape Club who very kindly sent us the Uwell Caliburn GK3 to review!
Let’s see how it stacks up..
- Uwell Caliburn GK3 device
- 0.6ohm Caliburn G3 integrated coil cartridge
- 0.9ohm Caliburn G3 integrated coil cartridge
- User manual
- USB Type-C charging cable
Uwell Caliburn GK3 Specifications
- Size: 74.8mm x 49.2mm x 17.1mm
- Weight: 52g
- PCTG, PC & ABS construction
- Large, segmented LCD screen with backlight
- 5-25W output range
- Wattage adjustable in 1W increments
- FeCrAl meshed 0.6 and 0.9ohm coil pods included
- 2ml capacity (TPD regulated areas), 2.5ml capacity (non-TPD regulated areas)
- Top filling
- Two airflow options for mouth to lung and restricted direct to lung vaping
- Inhale activated
- Ultrasonic welded pods to eliminate leakage
- 900mAh battery
- Single button operation
- USB-C charging
- Four different colour options
- Built in safety protections
Design and Build Quality
Constructed from PCTG, PC & ABS, the Uwell Caliburn GK3 measures in at 74.8mm x 49.2mm x 17.1mm and weighs only approximately 52g.
It’s a small and svelte little device, ergonomically designed with rounded edges to sit nicely in your hand.
One of the first aspects I noticed was the large, segmented LCD screen. This clearly displays information such as the selected power output, coil resistance, puff count and battery status.
Pushing the button at the side will also illuminate the backlight, allowing you to view the screen under low light conditions.
Built into the Uwell Caliburn GK3 is haptic feedback, which vibrates under certain conditions. The haptic feedback comes into play whenever you turn the device on or off, insert a pod or stick it on to charge and it is a nice little touch.
Something a little different and could also aid sight-impaired vapers out there.
On the opposite side to the screen is the ClearView juice viewing window, designed to help you view how much e-liquid you have left in the tank. With ‘MIN’ etched onto the side to show you when it is time to fill the pod back up.
It’s a good idea in theory, however I did find it difficult at times to see the juice in the pod and resorted to removing the pod to see how much I had left. It could have done with a viewing window on the other side to allow light in and provide better visibility!
Even though it is a pretty lightweight device, it feels very robust and has held up just fine with day to day use so far!
Quick Start Guide
- Five clicks of the side button will turn the Uwell Caliburn GK3 on and off. The screen will light up and you’ll get a vibration from the inbuilt haptic feedback to acknowledge this!
- Pressing the side button three times in two seconds will allow you to adjust the power output setting, which can be changed in 1W increments.
- Keep pressing the button to get to your desired power setting, then either leave it for three seconds or take a draw on the pod (as long as there is e-liquid in it!) to set the wattage.
- Four clicks of the power button will reset the puff counter. Handy if you like to keep a track of the amount of times you’ve had a puff on the device.
- Next up, you’ll want to fill the pod…
How To Fill The UWELL Caliburn GK3 Pod
The Uwell Caliburn GK3 comes with a 0.6ohm and 0.9ohm Caliburn G3 integrated coil pod, which features a FeCrAl (Kanthal) mesh coil and Uwell’s patented Pro-FOCS technology which allows for full and rich flavour.
- In order to fill the pod, you’ll need to remove the mouthpiece to expose the filling port. I’ve actually found this quite difficult to do with the pod in the device itself and have quite often had to resort to removing the pod from the device to fill it.
- Once you have got the mouthpiece off, you’ll need to insert your bottle nozzle into the red filling port (not the black port opposite!) and push downwards before squeezing your bottle to fill the pod. This pushes the U-shaped channel downwards to help guard against leakage.
- After filling the pod for the first time, let it sit for five minutes before vaping it to allow e-liquid to properly soak in.
On the LCD display, you’ll be able to clearly see how much battery life is left in the Uwell Caliburn GK3. 5 bars of battery indicate that there is over 80% charge left, 4 bars indicate 60-80%, 3 bars indicate 40-60%, 2 bars indicate 20-40% and a single bar indicates 1-20%. If no bars are displayed, there will be no output from the device.
A USB-C charging cable is included in the kit and you simply need to plug this in to a power source and into the charging port located at the base of the device. I’ve found that it will take just under an hour to charge the device from flat to full.
Safety protections are built into the device, including short-circuit protection, low voltage protection, open-circuit protection, overcharge protection and an eight second vaping cut off.
How does the Uwell Caliburn GK3 perform?
In terms of flavour…it’s excellent! I can’t really find fault with the flavour that this device provides. I get a tasty, flavoursome vape from both the 0.6ohm and 0.9ohm pods, picking up the flavour notes in my e-liquids that I would expect to find there.
It is definitely one of the better pod systems that I have tried in terms of flavour delivery and has an enjoyable, smooth vape.
I’ve definitely enjoyed my time puffing away on this. My preference is the 0.6ohm coil at 25W which suits my vaping style. The 0.9ohm coil is no slouch though, I’ve been using this to vape 20mg nicotine salt based e-liquids at 15W and found it to be excellent for this.
The difference between the 0.6ohm and 0.9ohm pods is that the 0.6ohm pod is designed for use with higher wattages. Getting the most out of the 25W max output of the device and delivering a warmer, restricted direct lung hit with the larger airflow setting.
The 0.6ohm pod is designed for a tighter, cigarette-like mouth to lung inhale with the smaller airflow setting and a max power output of 15W.
At the base of the pod, there are two airflow holes, with a larger and a smaller one. The larger one will deliver an airier vape and the smaller airflow hole will deliver a tighter one.
You simply change between the two by taking the pod out, rotating it 180° and re-inserting it into the Uwell Caliburn GK3.
It isn’t a device that is designed for delivering large clouds, but vapour production isn’t too bad at all with the 0.6ohm pod and the larger airflow setting. Having a good, long draw on this with the power turned up will deliver some pretty impressive clouds of vapour!
A 900mAh battery is built into the Uwell Caliburn GK3, which I haven’t had any issues with.
The vape seems to stay pretty consistent right down to the last bar of battery and I have averaged a day’s worth of full use from it before needing to pop it on to recharge. That is exactly what I would expect from a pod system these days.
- Smooth, flavoursome vape
- Large, clear screen with backlight option
- Easy to use menu options
- Great lifespan from the pods
- Feels very lightweight
- Competitively priced
- Two different airflow options
- Variable wattage allows you to tailor your vape
- Ideal for nicotine salts
- Battery lasts all day
- Airflow not fully adjustable
- Can be difficult to see how much e-liquid is left in the pod without first having to remove it
- Mouthpiece can be difficult to remove from the pod unless you take the pod out first
- Wattage only adjustable in 1W increments
Uwell have scored another hit here with the Caliburn GK3 pod system!
Performance wise, I can’t really fault it. It offers a great restricted lung or mouth to lung hit, with plenty of flavour and the ability to adjust the wattage to suit your vape is excellent. The 900mAh battery keeps going all day too.
The large LCD screen is a real bonus with this kit. It’s clear, easy to see all the information displayed and viewable in all light conditions. Especially with the addition of the backlight, which makes the screen viewable even in the dark.
It offers plenty of value for money, packing all the features you could need for a pod system in such a small pocket friendly package!
So, what do you think of Uwell’s latest addition to the Caliburn range? Let us know in the comments below!