What Is The Best E Cigarette, Vape Pen & Vape Mod On The Market In The UK & Worldwide? Updated Buying Guide For 2016
Last Update July 25th, 2016 It is a question that gets asked almost more than any other. What is the best e cigarette?
Maybe you are a smoker looking to switch or looking for a good vape kit e cig for the smoker in your life. This guide is here to help whether you are based in the UK, United States, Canada, Europe or beyond.
While on the surface this seems a simple enough query, there is in fact a whole host of different things that you, the person asking the question, will need to answer yourself.
This is before we even start to break down the different products available and I’m sure if you have ended up here you will know just how many there are!
Already know about the different types of e cigs/vape pens? Skip to the recommended products:
The first thing that needs to be decided:
What size e cigarette do you want?
What e cig size is best for your needs? ie: Are you a heavy smoker?
The three main e cig category options:
- Mini e cigarettes: (Also refereed to as a ‘cig-a-like’) These can range in sizes but are the smallest e cigarettes available. Some are the same size as a cigarette and certain e cig brands have a variety of sizes, the bigger ones having a larger battery capacity. All tend to have the appearance of a cigarette. These can be good e cigs for beginners to help the transition to e cigarettes. There are downsides to them however.
- Vape Pens/EGO E cig: (also known as a vaporizer e cig). These are of course bigger but provide longer life. Great for new vapers or the next step for those currently using mini e cigs. Take a look at our ‘Best Vape Pens‘ list for a more in depth look at this category.
- Box Mods: These would generally be used as a step up from vape pens but we have seen such an increase in popularity for these that many new vapers are opting to go for these from the outset. We would recommended these for the advanced user due to the learning curve but if you are willing to learn then they are a superb choice. Check out our ‘Best Box Mods‘ list for more choices.
So Lets Start With Mini E Cigs (Cig-A-Likes)
These are usually the first port of call for a high percentage of smokers making the switch to electronic cigarettes.
I will try and keep it simple by listing the positives / negatives that comes with this type of e cigarette.
- ‘Plug and play’ option
- Makes the transition to e cigarettes more familiar due to their small appearance.
- Discreet enough to carry around and use when out and about.
- Good for a no nonsense ‘plug and play’ first e cig experience.
- Portable charging cases are available with some kits allowing to charge the e cig battery on the move.
- The lightest e cig option. (Although don’t expect them to be the same weight as a cigarette!)
- Good entry point into the world of e cigarettes.
- The smaller the batteries the less charge they carry = Less vaping time and frequent charging.
- Limited battery life will mean (at a minimum) 2 batteries are recommended to be carried around at all times.
- Heavy smokers will get very annoyed with battery life and want to throw their mini e cig out of the window. Or they could just buy 3+ spare batteries.
- Limited opportunity to customize
- The quality of mini e cigs can vary widely, choose carefully, cheapest isn’t always the best.
As a former 15 cigs per day smoker I personally found mini e cigs a great starting point when first starting out, I was drawn to the cig-a-likes for the very reason that they were small and looked like a cigarette and for me at the time this was a very important feature.
Even to this day I don’t want to take a huge e cigarette out with me when I go to a bar or restaurant. I will take a small vape pen or a mini e cigarette if real stealth vaping is required!
There are a number of great beginner e cig kits and a large number of not so great products available making choosing the best e cig on the market a really difficult proposition.
Due to the growing e cig market many opportunity seekers are jumping on the band wagon, many of which haven’t got a clue of what makes a decent e cig.
Many brands are, unfortunately, just using the same re-branded stock products, a lot of which are poor and appear dated.
Here at ecigclick we have tried and tested over 50 different mini e cigarette brands to date, hopefully we can help making your purchasing choice a little easier.
Recommended Mini E Cigs
We have two clear favorites here at ecigclick, both offer different options and both are better in certain areas than one another.
So if you have decided that a mini e cigarette is where you want to start, these are our top picks in no particular order.
Another cig-a-like kit that I first came across many years ago, V2 Cigs have built upon their popularity by producing a solid range of e cigarettes for all levels of users.
The particular starter kit we recommend here is the perfect starting point for new vapers looking for a smaller e cig. V2 have plenty of flavor options with their pre-filled cartomizers but also offer bottled e-liquid and refillable cartomizers allowing you to use any e juice you choose.
There are a number of V2 starter kits from those with one battery to the Ultimate kits that covers everything you would need and more. One thing we would recommend is to go for a kit with at least 2 batteries, very important.
- From £22.99
- ‘Plug & Play’ easy for new vapers
- Quality product
- Wide range of flavours to choose from
- Kits to suit most budgets
- Money back guarantee
- 10% off all V2 vape gear with coupon below.
Get 10% Off At V2 Cigs UK – Use Code ECIG10
Get 10% Off At V2 Europe & USA – Use Code SCD10
Epuffer Magnum Snaps Starter Kit
The Epuffer Magnum Snaps starter kit, like the Jacvapour V1P kit below, has the added bonus of a portable charging case (PCC). The PCC basically allows you to charge your e cig batteries when you are on the move, a big plus point for these types of batteries.
The slim form factor of the PCC lets you slip the case in and out of the pocket with ease and carries one charging battery, one full e cig and a spare cartomiser. All of which will get you through a full day of vaping when out and about.
- Includes portable charging case
- Pick up nad use straight out of the box
- Excellent build quality
- 3 Cartridges/Cartomizers and 2 batteries included
- Use Epuffer Discount Code for 10% Off using the voucher below
Jacvapour V1P PCC Kit
The Jacvapour V1P Starter kit is another great starter kit. This differs slightly from the standard V2 Cigs kit in that it comes with a portable charging case or PCC for short.
This basically charges upto 5 full e cig batteries when you are on the move so a very handy bit of kit to have. The basic V1P starter kit only has one battery so it is highly recommended to add a spare at checkout.
If you decide to go with any of these kits you won’t go far wrong, both are excellent products.
- From £28.99 (When Discounts Are Applied)
- Simple to use
- Build quality very good
- Portable charging case included so you can keep batteries charged on the move
- Refillable cartomizers available do you can fill with your own e-liquid
- Discount off all Jac Vapour e cig gear using the voucher below
Recommended Vape Pens / EGO style e cigarettes
This type of e cig is again used as an entry point to electronic cigarettes for many smokers, mainly those that are not too concerned with buying an e cigarette that looks like a cigarette.
These type of e cigs are about the size of a cigar or a marker pen, depending on the type you go for. The smaller the device the smaller the battery capacity.
They are also ‘the next step’ for a number of vapers that may find they need an e cig with a longer battery life (as opposed to a mini e cig) and more options to tailor their e cig experience more to their personal vaping needs and preference.
There are again many different options here from your basic e cig which consists of a battery and a clearomizer to devices that allow you to change either the wattage/voltage to customize the way you vape.
These electronic cigarettes also let you refill with e-liquid rather than using pre-filled cartomisers.
- Longer battery life, allowing for more uninterrupted vaping.
- Fill with own e-liquid which can be more cost effective in the long run.
- Customize-able – Can use a variety of different clearomizers / tanks to improve vapor and flavor.
- May be too big for some users, especially those that don’t want to draw attention.
- Quality can vary. Be sure only to buy reputable brands from reputable companies. Be wary of cheap e cigs and vape pens from market stalls.
So without further a do here are our recommendations from over 20 starter kits we have tried and reviewed.
The following two e cigs are great options.
Jacvapour 510 Starter Kit
(Nominated Best Vape Pen / EGO E Cig in Eciglick Awards)
I have tried a number of EGO style e cigarettes and the 510 kit from Jacvapour stood out from the crowd not only because it’s very simple to use and setup but primarily due to the performance.
This kit comes with numerous battery options, 400Mah, 650 mAh, 900 Mah and 1300 mAh. The higher the number the longer the battery life but this also means a bigger e cigarette.
I recently reviewed the 400 and 650 Mah versions (link below) and they performed a treat.
The Jacvapour 510 kits also come with 2 quality clearomizer tanks to get the most out of your e-liquid.
- From £27.50 (When Discounts Are Applied)
- Very good quality vape pens from a reputable supplier
- Numerous battery options that you can mix to provide one big one small
- Supplied clearomizer tanks perform well
- Money back guarantee on kits (Subject to T&C’s)
- Excellent customers service from the Jacvapour team
Jacvapour Series E
This is another great starter kit from Jacvapour and a superb choice for new vapers. It’s similar to the 510 kits above but slightly more advanced. The battery is still compact but packs in 1000 Mah of power, so battery life is excellent.
Where it differs is the variable voltage function, it is also supplied with slightly more advanced tanks. The options are the Aerotank and the Pro Tank 3.
It’s super simple to use though so definitely worth checking out if you are considering a vape pen style e cig.
- From £32 (When Discounts Are Applied)
- Superb build quality
- Great looking device
- Variable wattage / voltage functionality (helps provide more/less heat to your vape)
- Higher e-liquid capacity tanks both of which offer good performance
- Money back guarantee (Check T&C’s)
- Jacvapour customer service is second to none.
Innokin Endura T18
This vape pen kit from Innokin is one of the newest e cigs to hit the market and quite possibly the best to date.
The Endura T18 is designed purely for first time vapers and those making the step up from mini e cigs. No confusing wattage changes, just fill your tank, screw it to the battery and you are ready to go.
The battery is 1000 mah which – when paired with the 1.5 ohm coil – should see most vapers through the majority of the day. The T18 Prism tank also offers great flavor and good vapor production to get the most out of your chosen e-liquid.
Add to all of this the top quality build and the reassurance that it has been produced by one of the leading e cigarette brands there aren’t too many negatives that come to mind.
- Well priced at £25.99 delivered
- Trusted vape brand
- Excellent quality
- Newest vape kit for new users
- Just add e-liquid and it’s ready to use
Get 5% Off At Vapour.co.uk – Use Code ECIGCLICK
Recommended Box Mods
The following recommendations are all box mods (or vape mods as they are also known). During 2015 we have seen more and more of these types of devices released to market with great fan fare.
The hype is justified though, some of these vape mods are fantastic. They are however more advanced and require more of a learning curve, they aren’t necessarily for everyone.
There are different features such as variable wattage, variable voltage or indeed both in the same device. Some are also good devices for those wanting to sub ohm vape. Again, this shouldn’t be done without first knowing what you are doing!
Some also have rechargeable, replaceable batteries that don’t require you to replace the whole e cig, like you will have to do with cig-a-likes and vape pens eventually.
All the box mods I recommend below are regulated, in other words they feature micro computers to control settings as entered by the user.
- Battery life can be considerably longer depending on the setup allowing for long periods of vaping without requiring a charge. Perfect for heavy vapers.
- Many have variable voltage/wattage settings that allow you to control the power output which in turn helps tailor settings for optimal user experience. Ie: More/less vapor – Warmer / cooler vape.
- Batteries can be removed and replaced (in some) rather than having to replace the whole device.
- Certain devices can provide the power for those wanting to get into sub ohm vaping.
- It is necessary to know the capabilities of these devices before buying. They aren’t for everyone.
- Learning curve – Some vapers just want a simple / straightforward device.
Lets take a look at some great Box Mods available
Jacvapour Series B Tilt Vape Mod
I’m sure you’ve seen this brand recommended a number of times within this e cig buying guide. The reason is simple, Jacvapour are not only a trusted UK e cig company but they offer a number of top quality electronic cigarettes and e liquids in the UK. Moving on to their latest e cigarette.
The Series B Tilt is a super small mod that offers top performance. You may have noticed the word ‘Tilt’ in the title, this is because when the tank sits on top it has a slight tilt to offer improved dynamics to the position you vape.
OK, maybe it doesn’t make that much difference but I personally think it looks great. Definitely up there with my favorite looking mods! This particular vape mod has a replaceable battery so no replacing the entire mod when the battery dies, bonus!
Very important point! This does require a further learning curve to box mods with regulated batteries.
Check out our guide for vaping battery safety here for more information.
- From £50 (When Discounts Are Applied)
- Excellent build quality
- Individual design that is different to any mod currently available
- Replaceable 18650 battery (not included)
- Discount code available for all ecigclick readers.
Get 5% Off All Jacvapour Products – Use Code ECIGCLICK15
Innokin Cool Fire 4
The Cool Fire 4 by Innokin is a great vape mod and easy for vapers new to these type of devices to get the hang of. It ticks all the boxes for what I look for in a box mod.
The Cool Fire 4 is loaded with a 2000mah capacity battery that preforms as you would expect and while the 40W power output may not be enough for some sub ohm vapers for me it is perfect with a 0.5ohm coil.
Great product again from Innokin.
- From £37.99
- Feels really solid in the hand
- Compact size fits nicely in the hand
- Compatible with coils from 0.3oHm
- 40W Output
- By Innokin, a trusted e cig brand
Get 5% Off At Vapour.co.uk – Use Code ECIGCLICK
Get 5% Off At Ecig USA – Use Code ECC
Innokin Disrupter Curve Mod
Innokin are one of the biggest brands in the business and are one of the leaders when it comes to e cig innovation. The Innokin Disrupter Curve kit is evidence of this.
The Disrupter Curve offers vapers the chance to completely customize their vape mod by way of different color combinations. The device comes in two separate parts, the controller and the Innocell battery. There are three color options for the controller and seven colors for the battery.
I love this box mod, it was of the most solid box mods available and very easy to use and get to grips with. There are a couple of battery options, 2000 Mah and 3300 mAh that offer plenty of vaping time. It is on the bigger side for box mods so take this into consideration if you had a mini box mod in mind.
- From £43
- Rock solid build quality – One of the best available
- Replaceable 2000 mAh Battery that is available in multiple colours
- Smooth slide and click to connect the battery to the controller
- 50W Output
- Fires coils from 0.2ohm so compatible with most of the sub ohm tanks on the market.
- From one of the most trusted brands in the industry
Get 5% Off At Vapour.co.uk – Use Code ECIGCLICK
Kanger Topbox Mini Kit
We can’t leave out Kangertech, another giant in the vaping world! They have a fantastic starter kit, the TopBox Mini.
The size of the mod itself (called the K Box mini) is great, fitting in the hand comfortably. It has a replaceable 18650 battery, again if you are not familiar with battery safety please read our guide, and a powerful 75W output.
The Topbox kit also comes with a Toptank Mini complete with RBA kit (rebuildable atomizer). Don’t worry though if you are not interested in building your own coils, it also comes with the Kanger OCC coil heads which offer a superb sub ohm vaping experience.
For those that want the option of temperature control this mod also has you covered.
- From £50 / $55
- Small form factor
- Replaceable 18650 battery (not included)
- Great performance from the OCC Coils
- Temp control compatible
- RBA deck offering the chance to build your own coils
- 75W output
- Compatible with coils from 0.1 ohm+
- Trusted brand
UK/Europe – Get 5% Off – Use Code ECIGCLICK
USA– Get free delivery with link below
Artery Nugget Nano Mod
The Artery Nugget is something that little bit different and more of a stealth mod. I use this as a second device for when I don’t want to carry around a bulky mod.
The Nugget is tiny, measuring just 55.5mm x 31mm x 22mm. Even so, it still offers a 50W power output and can handle coil resistances from 0.1 Ohm. Oh yeah, it is also temp control compatible.
I personally use a coil resistance of around 1.5 Ohm with this mod as it allows for more battery life than a sub ohm coil would.
As you can see it packs in a lot into a small form factor and it looks pretty cool as well.
- Tiny form factor
- Solid build quality
- Upto 50W Power output
- Temp Control
- Great for stealth vaping
So there we have it, these are our recommendations for the best e cigs on the market for 2016.
Of course we can only advise what the best e cig is based on what we have used but we are reviewing new e cigarettes, vape pens and vape mods all the time and will of course update this page as we go where necessary.
Now it is just down to you to decide what option fits with your needs!
Of course if you have any further questions just ask below in the comments or get in touch using the contact link located top right of this website. We will get back to you ASAP!
As always be sure to vape safely.
Take A Look At Our ‘Best Vaping’ Product Lists Below!