What Is The Best E Cigarette, Vape Pen & Vape Mod On The Market In The UK & Worldwide? Updated Buying Guide For 2018
Last Update January, 2018 It is a question that gets asked almost more than any other. What is the best e cigarette? Truth is, there are a lot of great kits available, the real question is ‘What is the best vape kit for YOU?’.
Maybe you are a smoker looking to switch or looking for a good vape kit e cig for the smoker in your life. This guide is here to help whether you are based in the UK, United States, Canada, Europe or beyond but is focused on the new vaper.
While on the surface this seems a simple enough query, there is in fact a whole host of different things that you, the person asking the question, will need to answer yourself.
This is before we even start to break down the different products available and I’m sure if you have ended up here you will know just how many there are!
Already know about the different types of e cigs/vape pens? Skip to the recommended products:
The first thing that needs to be decided if you are new to vaping:
- What size e cigarette do you want?
- What e cig size is best for your needs? ie: Are you a heavy smoker?
- Are you a mouth to lung or Direct to Lung (Sub Ohm) vaper? (Important to know this before deciding anything!)
The three main e cig category options:
- Mini e cigarettes: (Also refereed to as a ‘cig-a-like’) These can range in sizes but are the smallest e cigarettes available. Some are the same size as a cigarette and certain e cig brands have a variety of sizes, the bigger ones having a larger battery capacity. All tend to have the appearance of a cigarette. These can be good e cigs for beginners to help the transition to e cigarettes. They offer a mouth to lung vaping experience, similar to the way most smoker. There are downsides to them however.
- Vape Pens/EGO E cig: (also known as a vaporizer e cig). These are of course bigger but provide longer battery life. Great for new vapers or the next step for those currently using cig-a-likes. Most offer a mouth to lung (MTL) vape but there are increasing number of sub ohm (Direct to Lung) kits coming to market. Take a look at our ‘Best Vape Pens‘ list for a more in depth look at this category.
- Box Mods: These would generally be used as a step up from vape pens but we have seen such an increase in popularity for these that many new vapers are opting to go for these from the outset. There is a slight learning curve but they are super simple to use, if you are willing to learn then they are a superb choice. The majority of these kits are best used with sub ohm tank (Direct to Lung) but Mouth to Lung (MTL) tanks can also be used. Check out our ‘Best Box Mods‘ list for more choices.
So Lets Start With Mini E Cigs (Cig-A-Likes)
These are usually the first port of call for a high percentage of smokers making the switch to electronic cigarettes.
I will try and keep it simple by listing the positives / negatives that comes with this type of e cigarette.
- ‘Plug and play’ option
- Makes the transition to e cigarettes more familiar due to their small appearance.
- Highly portable and discreet enough to carry around and use when out and about.
- Good for a no nonsense ‘charge and vape’ first e cig experience.
- The lightest e cig option. (Although don’t expect them to be the same weight as a cigarette!)
- Good entry point into the world of e cigarettes.
- The smaller the batteries the less charge they carry = Less vaping time and frequent charging.
- Limited battery life will mean (at a minimum) 2 batteries are recommended to be carried around at all times.
- Heavy smokers will get very annoyed with battery life and want to throw their mini e cig out of the window. Or they could just buy 3+ spare batteries.
- Limited opportunity to customize
- The quality of mini e cigs can vary widely, choose carefully, cheapest isn’t always the best.
As a former 15 cigs per day smoker I personally found mini e cigs a great starting point when first starting out, I was drawn to the cig-a-likes for the very reason that they were small and looked like a cigarette and for me at the time this was a very important feature.
It has to be said there wasn’t the choice back in 2010 that we have today, however.
Even to this day I don’t want to take a huge e cigarette out with me when I go to a bar or restaurant. I will take a small vape pen or a mini box mod if real stealth vaping is required! Both will be mouth to lung vapes as they produce less clouds/vapour.
There are a number of great beginner e cig kits and a large number of not so great products available making choosing the best e cig on the market a really difficult proposition.
Due to the growing e cig market many opportunity seekers are jumping on the band wagon, many of which haven’t got a clue of what makes a decent e cig.
Many brands are, unfortunately, just using the same re-branded stock products, a lot of which are poor and appear dated.
Here at ecigclick we have tried and tested over 50 different mini e cigarette brands to date, hopefully we can help making your purchasing choice a little easier.
Recommended Mini E Cigs
We have two clear favorites here at ecigclick, both offer different options and both are better in certain areas than one another.
So if you have decided that a mini e cigarette is where you want to start, these are our top picks in no particular order.
Another cig-a-like kit that I first came across many years ago, V2 Cigs have built upon their popularity by producing a solid range of e cigarettes for all levels of users.
The particular starter kit we recommend here is the perfect starting point for new vapers looking for a smaller e cig. V2 have plenty of flavor options with their pre-filled cartomizers but also offer bottled e-liquid and refillable cartomizers allowing you to use any e-juice you choose.
There are a number of Vapour2/V2 starter kits from those with one battery to the Ultimate kits that covers everything you would need and more. One thing we would recommend is to go for a kit with at least 2 batteries, very important.
- One of the best cig-a-like kits available
- ‘Plug & Play’ easy for new vapers
- Quality product from a trusted, worldwide brand
- Wide range of flavours to choose from
- Kits to suit most budgets
- Money back guarantee. Even if you have used the product
- 10% off all Vapour2/V2 vape gear with coupon below.
Jacvapour V3i Kit
The Jacvapour V3i e cig kit is another great starter kit for new vapers making the switch.
The V3i starter kit is available in two kit options, the Basic and the Social. We would recommend going for the Basic starter kit that includes two batteries.
If you decide to go with any of these kits you won’t go far wrong, both are excellent products. Whatever kit you go for be sure to add spare batteries when you buy or further down the line.
- Simple to use
- Build quality very good
- Good flavours
- Refillable cartomizers available so you can fill with your own e-liquid
Not a cig-a-like as such but one of the latest All In One (AIO) e cigs to hit the market and the Aspire Breeze has been very well received indeed.
It’s going up against the iCare 2 in the market and certainly looks very similar.
Powered by an internal 650 mAh battery this is classed as an airy MTL or very restricted DTL vape which suggests to me it will make a great starter kit for vaping newbies.
Like all of these e cigarettes simplicity is the key with this one and dare I say operating it really is a breeze.
Once coiled up and the 2ml tank is filled you can either vape using the fire button or just by inhaling.
For us it gives slightly better flavor than the iCare 2 though when using inhale mode the ramp up can be a bit hit and miss.
One thing I will say is that it’s rare Aspire brings out a poor kit so this is definitely one to give a go!
As an added bonus there is also a portable, 2000mAh battery pack available that will allow you to charge on the move. A must have addition in our books.
- Dimensions: 93 x 33 x 18mm
- Simple for new vapers
- All-In-One Design
- Compact Design
- 650 mAh Internal Battery
- 2.0 mL Tank
- Automatic and Manual-button Feature
- Top Fill Design
- Refillable Cartridges
- Breeze Charging Dock Available Seperately
Recommended Vape Pens / EGO style e cigarettes
This type of e cig is again used as an entry point to electronic cigarettes for many smokers, mainly those that are not too concerned with buying an e cigarette that looks like a cigarette.
These type of e cigs are about the size of a cigar or a marker pen, depending on the type you go for. The smaller the device the smaller the battery capacity.
They are also ‘the next step’ for a number of vapers that may find they need an e cig with a longer battery life (as opposed to a mini e cig) and more options to tailor their e cig experience more to their personal vaping needs and preference.
There are again many different options here from your basic e cig which consists of a battery and a tank to devices that allow you to change either the wattage/voltage to customize the way you vape. Sub ohm vape pens are also now proving popular.
These electronic cigarettes also let you refill with e-liquid rather than using pre-filled cartomisers.
- Longer battery life, allowing for more uninterrupted vaping.
- Fill with own e-liquid which can be more cost effective in the long run.
- Customize-able – Can use a variety of different clearomizers / tanks to improve vapor and flavor.
- May be too big for some users, especially those that don’t want to draw attention.
- Quality can vary. Be sure only to buy reputable brands from reputable companies. Be wary of cheap e cigs and vape pens from market stalls.
So without further a do here are our recommendations from numerous vape pen starter kits we have tried and reviewed.
The following e cigs are great options.
Apollo Ohm Go Vape Pen
The Apollo Ohm Go kit looks the business. Luckily it’s not a case of ‘all fur coat and no knickers’.
The Ohm Go kit provides two vaping experiences in one. Mouth to lung (MTL) with the supplied 1.0 ohm coil, this is a similar experience that you would get smoking a cigarette. Direct to lung (DTL) with the supplied 0.5Ohm coil, this will give you that sub ohm vaping experience you may have heard so much about.
Both coils offer superb flavour and plenty of vapour.
Before you think that it sounds difficult to operate, think again. The Ohm Go is a ‘self adjusting’ vape pen.
By self adjusting we mean you don’t have to fiddle with any wattage settings, the device detects the coil and changes the wattage automatically giving you the optimum vape every time. The only thing it doesn’t do is vape itself.
The tank is top-fill making it easy to fill when you are on the move. All you need with this kit is to add e liquid and your good to go.
If you hadn’t guessed yet. We really like this vape pen kit.
Read Our Full Apollo Ohm Go Review Here
- Build quality and design are top notch
- 1900mAh battery
- Offers sub ohm vaping and mouth to lung
- Self adjusting device for the above (no messing around with wattage/power settings)
- Top fill
- Excellent flavour and cloud production
V2 Pro Series 3
The V2 Pro Series 3 offers that little bit more than your standard vape pen.
This device gives the users the option to switch the e liquid tank out for a dry herb tank. All still using the same battery that automatically detects which tank you have installed.
Of course, if you just want to vape e liquid that’s fine! This is one of the easiest kits there is to use. The refill tank is held in place by magnets, simply drop the tank into the top of the battery and it slots in place. It’s as easy as that.
The V2 Pro Series 3 is also a very slick looking device and light enough to be carried around easily in your pocket or bag. The tank is filled through the top and in our testing had no leaking whatsoever. So mess free all-round.
A great starting point for new vapers or those looking to step upto a vape pen or upgrade their current device.
Read Our Full V2 Pro Series 3 Review Here
- Solid build quality
- Great looking device
- 650mAh battery
- Leak free
- Loose leaf tank can be purchased separately for a different vape experience
- Money back guarantee (Check T&C’s)
- Top performer for flavour
Jacvapour Series S-17 Starter Kit
The Jacvapour Series S-17 Kit is the new kid on the block from UK brand jacvapour and by far their best yet in it’s category.
The Series S-17 kit has been built for simplicity.
Yet is still offers vapers both mouth to lung and direct lung inhale options. The beauty of this device is that you do not have to mess around with any wattage controls which can be confusing to new vapers.
Simply fill your tank. Place it on the battery and vape. The battery will adjust the power output automatically depending on the coil used.
The 900 mAh battery offers a decent amount of vape time and the coils, excellent flavour.
A superb starter kit for those new to vaping and priced very competitively.
- ‘Plug and play’ easy to use. No confusing choices to make
- Excellent build quality and design
- 900 mAh Battery
- Excellent Price
- 10ml E Liquid Included in kit
- 2 X Coils included that offer mouth to lung and direct to lung vape options
- Excellent customer service from the Jacvapour team
Innokin Endura T18
This vape pen kit from Innokin is one of the newest e cigs to hit the market and quite possibly the best to date.
The Endura T18 is designed purely for first time vapers and those making the step up from mini e cigs. No confusing wattage changes, just fill your tank, screw it to the battery and you are ready to go.
The battery is 1000 mah which – when paired with the 1.5 ohm coil – should see most vapers through the majority of the day. The T18 Prism tank also offers great flavor and good vapor production to get the most out of your chosen e-liquid.
Add to all of this the top quality build and the reassurance that it has been produced by one of the leading e cigarette brands there aren’t too many negatives that come to mind.
- Trusted vape brand
- Excellent quality
- 1000mAh Battery
- One of the best selling starter kits
- Easy to use. No confusing controls
- Just add e-liquid and it’s ready to use
Recommended Pod Mods
Pod mods have taken the vaping world by storm in 2017 and they look to continue into 2018. For good reason as well. They are one of the simplest, mess free devices available.
There are various styles of pod mod e cig. The pen style is arguably the most popular but there has been an increase in small box mod type devices. You will also see that some offer refillable tanks while some just offer pre-filled cartridges, when you are done you simply swap them out.
It really couldn’t get any easier. If you are a new vaper looking for the simplicity of a cig-a-like then this could be for you.
Aspire Gusto Mini
This is a seriously small vape device… If you want discreet matched with superb performance then this is our one of our favourite.
Although the cartridges are not designed to be re-filled there is a work around. If you just want simple, mess free vaping though you simply buy replacement cartridges.
The e-liquid that comes pre-filled in the cartridges is produced by Element, one of the most trusted brands in the e-liquid market.
- Compact mod with excellent build quality
- Great performance for such a small device
- Simple, mess free device
- E-liquids by Element
- Reputable, trusted brand
Recommended Box Mods
The following recommendations are all box mods (or vape mods as they are also known). During 2017/2018 we have seen more and more of these types of devices released to market with great fan fare.
The hype is justified though, some of these vape mods are fantastic. They are however a little more advanced and require more of a learning curve, they aren’t necessarily for everyone. Having said that, they are very easy to use.
There are different features such as variable wattage, temperature control or indeed both in the same device. Most are also good devices for those wanting to sub ohm vape. Again, this shouldn’t be done without first knowing what you are doing!
There are two main types of box mod you will come across
- Mods with integrated battery – When the battery eventually fails the whole mod needs to be replaced
- Mods with replaceable batteries – No need to replace the whole mod when the battery performance deteriorates, just swap out the batteries.
I personally use both and have had a mod with integrated battery last over a year. For a £30/£40 device that’s pretty good going.
If going for a mod with replaceable batteries it’s important to learn about battery safety, how to carry them and charge them safely.
All the box mods I recommend below are regulated, in other words they feature micro computers to control settings as entered by the user. We do not recommend mech mods (unregulated) for the new vaper.
- Battery life can be considerably longer depending on the setup allowing for long periods of vaping without requiring a charge. Perfect for heavy vapers.
- Many have variable wattage settings that allow you to control the power output which in turn helps tailor settings for optimal user experience. Ie: More/less vapor – Warmer / cooler vape.
- Batteries can be removed and replaced (in some) rather than having to replace the whole device.
- Certain devices can provide the power for those wanting to get into sub ohm vaping.
- Can be used with MTL vape tanks – Battery life will be even better with these types of tanks.
- It is necessary to know the capabilities of these devices before buying. They aren’t for everyone.
- Learning curve – Some vapers just want a simple / straightforward device.
Lets take a look at some great Box Mods available
Aspire Zelos Kit
Aspire e cigarettes have been in the vaping world since waaay back when. So it’s safe to say they are at trusted brand that are here to stay.
One of their latest releases, the Aspire Zelos vape mod, is a compact little vape that packs plenty of power (50W). Not only will this device keep the more advanced vapers happy but also future proof new vapers looking for a step up or starter mod.
This mod will fit easily in the pocket and looks great with the Nautilus 2 tank (included in the kit) attached. But you won’t want to keep it there too long as it looks the business!
The 2500 mAh battery will give you plenty of vape time as well. Did I mention they have also squeezed temperature control capabilities in there? For those that want it (you don’t have to use it) it’s there.
- Compact mod with excellent build quality
- 50W power output
- Temp Control for vapers that want it
- 2500 mah battery
- Kit comes complete with an excellent tank, the Nautilus 2
- From one of the most reputable & long standing brands
Jacvapour Series S-22 Vape Mod
I’m sure you’ve seen this brand recommended a number of times within this e cig buying guide. The reason is simple, Jacvapour are not only a trusted UK e cig company but they offer a number of top quality electronic cigarettes and e liquids in the UK. Moving on to one of their latest e cigarettes.
The Series S-22 is a super small mod that offers top performance while being a perfect starting point for a beginner.
The tank that comes with the kit offers both mouth to lung and direct to lung vaping. If you are new to vaping you will likely be best suited to the mouth to lung coil.
Definitely up there with my favorite mods for ease of use, it’s a case of popping your tank on and vaping. No wattage controls to worry about!
- Excellent build quality
- Perfect for new vapers with no confusing settings
- Looks great and is pocket friendly
- Good flavour and clouds from the S-22 tank
- Discount code available for all ecigclick readers.
Innokin Cool Fire 4
It’s by no means the latest box mod on the market but the Cool Fire 4 by Innokin is a great vape mod and easy for vapers new to these type of devices to get the hang of. It ticks all the boxes for what I look for in a box mod.
The Cool Fire 4 is loaded with a 2000mah capacity battery that preforms as you would expect and while the 40W power output may not be enough for some sub ohm vapers for me it’s perfect with a 0.5ohm coil.
Great product again from Innokin.
- Feels really solid in the hand
- Compact size fits nicely in the hand
- Compatible with coils from 0.3oHm
- 40W Output
- 2000 mAh Battery
- By Innokin, a trusted e cig brand
SMOK Q Box Kit
We can’t leave out SMOKtech, another giant in the vaping world! They have a fantastic starter kit, the Q Box Mini.
The size of the mod itself is great, one of the smallest we have tried, fitting in the hand comfortably. It has an internal, 1600mAh battery and a more than ample 50W power output. We love the design, the large OLED screen on the side is nice and bright and the colour options superb, even the rainbow looks pretty cool!
The Q Box mod is available in kit form with the TFV8 Baby tank that offers a superb sub ohm vaping experience.
For those that want the option of temperature control this mod also has you covered.
- Tiny form factor
- Top quality construction
- 1600mAh internal battery
- Great performance from the TFV8 Baby tank
- Temp control compatible
- 50W output
- Trusted brand
Innokin Cool Fire Ultra Mod
The CoolFire Ultra is another in Innokin’s best selling Cool Fire lineup of mods and offers the most power of all.
It may be overkill for many, especially if you are just starting your vaping journey but it can still be used with a whole host of vape tanks. The bonus with this mod is that it offers plenty of life through the 4000mAh Lipo battery.
I personally use this mod on a daily basis with both mouth to lung and sub ohm (Direct to lung) tanks and I’ve got to say it’s a real workhorse.
It packs in all of the features advanced vapers would expect while still being easy to get to grips with for new vapers.
- Solid build quality
- Upto 150W Power output
- 4000mAh battery
- Temp Control
- Great for extended battery life
So there we have it, these are our recommendations for the best e cigs on the market in 2018 for new vapers.
Of course we can only advise what the best e cig is based on what we have used but we are reviewing new e cigarettes, vape pens and vape mods all the time and will of course update this page as we go where necessary.
Now it is just down to you to decide what option fits with your needs!
Of course if you have any further questions just ask below in the comments or get in touch using the contact link located top right of this website. We will get back to you ASAP!
As always be sure to vape safely.